What's new

Electrohome Marquee 9500 (3 Viewers)

I'll have the opportunity to purchase a pair of CRT projectors in the near future, but I'd like to learn more about them first. They are the Electrohome Marquee 9500LC Ultra/P43 (Model Number 38-P15297-ST) and were manufactured in April 1999. These particular units have two RGBHV inputs on the rear.

From what I've read, this has been regarded as an excellent model. So, am I even on the right track here?

If so, what are the caveats I should look for? Is there a good way to fully evaluate these units without calibrating them? I know that they are terribly out of calibration at the moment. My main concern would be the condition of the tubes, as these units have spent their life at a major university hooked up to a Silicon Graphics computer, and have seen a substantial amount of use in the past. If the tubes are in bad shape (and how would I tell?) is the unit worth anything?

Thanks guys!

Daniel

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
To check for burn in, shine a flashlight into the lens of each CRT with the projector off. Look directly into the lens. If there are dark spots or areas on the CRT's surface, there is burn in or wear. Whether you will consider it usable depends on how severe and evenly dispersed it is.
By the way, I think this is a great model of projector (though I haven't seen one operate). Alot of ultra high end units are based on it.

Chad

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Condition means everything with these. HEad over to the CRT forums at AVS for very in-depth help. If you are buying from a reputable seller, then likely the price is high, if it is a very low price, make sure you check out the units in person, or can have someone check them out for you.

If they are in good condition without text burn or heavy wear, the 9500LC is one of THE best video projectors on earth. Two of them no less... I am envious.

If the tubes are worn, which they likely are if they've been used heavily, then try to get them cheap anyway, as the chassis is still worth a substantial amount. The LC marquees can take either the 8 or 9in tubes, so if the tubes are fried you can spend big bucks retubing them with new 9inch guns, or step back and drop in 8inch guns, though certainly I would go all the way if the electronics are in good shape.

Contact Tim martin also if you need help, he's a marquee guru.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Also, these are still being manufactured, and parts are readily available both new ($$$$$) and on the used market.

1999 is a newer model unit, which is a bonus certainly. I don't think the ultras were being made in 99 though, which is the current iteration of this projector. The other thing to check on marquees is whether the tubes fire full strength. There is LVPS voltage drift that can fry the filaments in the tubes. This would not be seen as wear on the phosphor, but the tube would be dim and essentially useless.

Thanks Chad, I'll take a look at the tubes for burn-in tomorrow.

Chris: They belong to my employer, and are currently hooked up to an SGI Onyx 2. They are basically no longer in use, and will be removed soon. What kind of cost would I be looking at for retubing? It seems these 9-inch tubes are quite costly, even rebuilt. The projector is clearly labeled as an "Ultra", whatever that means.

Anyway, thanks guys. I had forgotten how good the CRT projection forum over at AVS was, so I will continue my search there.

Daniel

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi

This is a very sweet projector providing you have "good" tubes. If you try to change them out make sure you obtain SMTPE spec'd tubes for accurate color rendering and not data grade tubes (which are most likely what are in them right now).

Regards

Gregg

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
gregg: There is no difference between tubes for this unit, stock factory tubes are what they all use. There are SIM tubes available, but as this is not a SIM version, this is not the case. the sim tubes have far smaller spot size, I do not know what the color is like on those though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks