What's new

Edits on B&B: The Mike Judge Colleciton (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I can understand that it is Mike Judges perogative to cut these how evrer he wants, but I can't help but feel let down with this release. I'm dissapointed about the absense, but can understand the music videos due to rights. To here that the epsodes have been addtitionaly edited just seems like another let down on a series that has constantly gotten the short end of the stick.

I have this on pre-order, but I'm seriously thinking of cancelling it. I have the first 2-3 seasons on video tape, I would probably be better served transfering them to DVD. It sounds like the new collection has video problems anyways.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
On the track listing, for each of the episodes, there is an "*" next to the "director's cut" versions. Most of the titles are starred.

There is also a letter from Mike Judge in the collection, saying that he is only happy with some of the episodes, the ones in the set, so he is calling this "the Mike Judge Collection". Any future volumes would probably be the ones he isn't happy with.

In the new EW, Judge is interviewed, talking briefly about the director's cut, how he finally got a paint thinner joke into an episode.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
As far as I heard there's supposed to be at least one more follow up collection and it will again be comprised of these "director cut" episodes.

And for the record, I never said that I felt Paramount was being deceptive with this, I blame them for releasing hacked up episodes regardless though. Again, it might not be pushed from a promotional standpoint, but by titling this "The Mike Judge Collection" and allowing him to recut all the episodes and in advertising, implying that the creator of the series had a hand in the DVD production (which he did), it IS indeed a marketing strategy and one that is not appreciated. Studios should respect the fact that the people supporting their product want original content - not reinvented works!

They're pushing this as some special director approved package - which it is - but that distinction is usually held in prestige for releases in which the filmmaker or director actually ADD something to the release, such as commentary, extras, etc.

Not hack up the content.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

From reading an interview with Judge months and months back in (if I remember correctly) Entertainment Weekly, the above is likely EXACTLY how it played out. In the article, Judge stated that he was the one who had the "History of Beavis & Butt-head" set pulled, as part of his contract was direct invovlement with any project like that, yet they had made the set and manufactured it without bothering to tell him at all. He felt like most of the episodes they had chosen for that set were some of the suckier ones. He said that it surprised him, as the people involved in the decision to release that inital recalled set weren't new people who just didn't know any better, but people he had worked with back when the series was still running.

Anyway, based on that interview, I get the feeling that they couldn't just throw out a set without his direct involvement, so, I think if you want B&B eps without his editing or involvement, you're gonna have to save up for the Time-Life set, or Tivo them off MTV2. I'm still gonna pick up the set, but I would prefer they were uncut.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Looks like I'll be passing on this set as well. I've got the 2-disc History of Beavis & Butt-head DVD that was never released and can always pick up the Time Life DVDs off eBay so Paramount can keep this lame release!

ravma

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, but when I hear Director's Cut or 'personally edited by Mike Judge", I tend to think that it is LONGER, not shorter. I guess I'm so used to them not being upfront, that when they word the editing like that, it sounds positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks