What's new

Edits on B&B: The Mike Judge Colleciton (1 Viewer)

TedT

Second Unit
Well it's not false advertiseing. Director's "cut" means the director CUT the episodes.

I could understand a line here or there (well, no I can't really understand that), but a full minute?!?!?

I'll sadly pass.

Christopher D

Second Unit
Between this and wanting to make only 2/3rds of the episodes available, someone needs to get Mike Judge away from George Lucas's Kool Aid....

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In all fairness IF he felt the need to re-edit them (assuming it's not a screw-up a la Ren And Stimpy), their his episodes to recut. That being said, I'd like it if the original versions were on the disc.

It's not like he removed 'objectionable' content (like E.T.). He removed stuff he didn't like. Once again, that assumes that the edits aren't an error on Paramount/MTV/Judge/whoever's part.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I am so pissed right now and largely with my self, for selling those Time/Life discs.

Damn it, damn it, damn it....well, I'm going to refrain from saying anymore I'm just so pissed.

Brad P

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have the set but some of the "director's cut" shorts are now on Comcast On Demand. I was watching "Dream On" today and I noticed they cut out my favorite bit - the Brady Bunch gag:

Here's the story of a guy named Butt-head
Who was horny for three very lovely girls
Then along came a guy named Beavis
He was horny, too (heh heh heh heh heh)

Yeah. This is a shame. I won't be buying the set.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I made a similar post in a thread regarding the Director's Cut of the new "Warriors" DVD in the Film & Documentary forum a couple of months back concerned about these new trend of Director's Cut releases amd how the studios are just using this stupid branding to re-edit film content and alter movies and shows. I think this has to stop and as a fan of B&B who was initially interested in picking up the set (and owned all of the VHS back in the day), these edits/censors do not fly by me and I will not be buying it anymore. I'll track down the Tim eLife discs instead if they are still in print, if not I'll hit Ebay. I don't care who's vision this is, but editing films and TV shows under any circumstance is wrong and not something that I want to support. There's a reason that people purchase DVD's, that's to own the films that they loved and enjoyed watching - not altered versions of said content!

In short, no sale for me.

And despite this being Mike Judge's "apparent" decision, I still hold the studios responsible for not stepping forward and recognizing what the fans really want. With every release: ORIGINAL AND UNCUT EPISODES AS THEY ORIGINALLY AIRED. Screw these fancy DC labels and what not, this is what we want and I know I speak for the majority of TV show buyers. This message needs to get to the studios that put out this content because whenever a TV show is edited or compromised in any way at any cost, I will not support it.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
This is a shame. I just cancelled my order. I called my two friends (with whom I used to watch this as a teenager) and gave them the link to this thread. They immediately canceled as well. Sorry, but I do not like things like this being changed. I know Mike Judge is the creator and I believe he has every right to hack away at his show to his heart's content. It's his baby. I just probably won't buy it. I'll hang onto my Time-Life discs and the History set I managed to snag. I find things like this highly annoying. Sure, maybe there are things in these episodes that make him cringe or that he doesn't like. I write quite a bit for various organizations and there is some material out there that I did years ago that literally makes me cringe. I would love to tweak it a bit. . . but that would not be right in my eyes. That would be altering the work that I produced at a certain point in my life.

Don't get me wrong; I think Judge has every right to do whatever he wants. He owes me nothing and can do as he pleases. I also do not feel I have been mislead either. It was made fairly obvious that these episodes would be altered in some way, so it is not like they claimed they were uncut or anything.

Sorry, I will not own this set or any other B&B sets that are edited "Director's Cuts." I always want the original broadcast/theatrical versions of films and TV shows available except in cases where excessive music costs, etc make it completely impossible. November is an expensive month anyway, so this is just one less purchase for me to make.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
The "Director's Cut" isn't something the studio slapped on the box to cover their asses. Mike Judge has been involved in the creation of this set from day 1, and knows everything that was done to each episode because he did it. I'm not telling you to buy it, and if you're upset about the changes they I'd recommend you don't buy it, but I wanted to clear that up.

The Ren & Stimpy situation was crap because they advertised it as being uncut, and then when cuts were discovered John K basically said, "Oh well, buy it anyway." The anger that set caused has now drifted into other sets like this.

Gord

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Jeeze, I was going to purchase this set but now my purchase this coming release day is going to be Chiup and Dale's Rescue Rangers along with Ducktales. At least I'll be getting something that I'm going to actually enjoy. Target and Best Buy have them for $24.95 each.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Gord,

Like I said in my post, all involved have apparently been totally honest and upfront with regards to this set. I am happy for that and am in no way upset over it. I am just disappointed that Judge decided to go back and tinker with the episodes - even if it is minor. The show is his though and he can do as he pleases. I just wish he had chosen to leave the material as it originally was.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Gord, I understand that but I trhink you might have misinterpreted my statement about director's cuts.

It's up to the studio to clear and greenlight these projects once determined that the potential for a certain title or TV show might be a profitable venture.

I'm just saying that the studios should understand that when doing such - we want what was originally shown and intended, not some altered or revised vision regardless of who's behind such decision making!

I see these DC brandings as a new and potentially dangerous trend. This is not the first DVD release to be subject to something like this and unfortunately unless the message is sent out clearly to the studios that this is NOT what the fans want, it won't be the last!

The studios see the Director's Cut heading on titles to be some sort of premium draw to fans and consumers, a great promotional tool for bringing more attention and hype to their release by sending out the message that this is some sort of "Ultinate Edition" of the film or TV show that has never yet been exposed to the public eye. Somethign exclusive and premium that the creator himself had a hand in producing.

For certain titles, this holds true.

There are classic films and vintage productions that have been cut up and hacked down, mistreated over the years and due to the negligance of proper film preservation or rights holdings, etc. scenes were lost, audio tracks rendered missing, etc.

Than along comes the digital age and with DVD and the potential to magnificently restore these early masterpieces of cinema, the word is put out to conduct extensive searches of film vaults and libraries, private collectors are called upon and low and behold, new or more appropriately, lost footage is recovered and restored.

Or footage that was shot down by the powers that be at the time of release. Footage deemed inappropriate to the pacing of the show or film, or too vulgar, or too controversial, or too boring, or whatever. The production turns out successfull and the filmmakers now have more power behind them. A DVD release is at hand...

THIS is what the "Director's Cut" label is for!

Studios are quickly losing grip of that though and using it as an excuse to exploit newer catalogue releases by adding whatever extra reels of stock footage they come accross into a film.

That's why every other release you see has the stupid: "Extended Cut - Now with 3 whole minutes and 45 seconds worth of pointless shit we scrounged off the cutting room floor!!!" label.

It's not necessary in most cases and certainly not in this case!

This is potentially the most dangerous use or exploitation of the Director's Cut... when the studios think this will make for great promotion and enhance their package so they hand over the final cut of the DVD to be edited and hacked down from it's original context. This is how it was always meant to be seen!

Screw that, it's not how it was ever seen and it's not what anybody wants.

I think the studios need to be made aware of this, otherwise before long, many of our favorite films and shows could be subjected to similar tactics and soon everything we watch will be a revised version of an original production. Not only is it a shitty practice to pull over the fans or to adapt in general, but haven't we learned anything from TV syndication and the styudio buyouts in the 50's when footage was cut up and edited? I know things are done differently today and preservation is on a whole other level, but it's still does not bode well for the future viability of these films and shows. Especially when it's our only exposure as past editions go out of print in order to focus the market on a single product and studio profit. In the distant future and even not-so-distant next-gen. home video, it could greatly compromise the context of releases.

We all know by now that especially when it comes to television shows on DVD, studios are not always on top of the ball and often sloppy mistakes are made. The last thing we need is all these new revised masters surfacing of our favorite shows and films, with missing footage, altered soundtracks, etc.

It NEEDS to stop!

I don't care who the director is or how he feels about his work, the studios should simply not allow it. Mike Judge does not have all that much pull in the first place. He could have just as easily been involved in thsi project, picked out his favorite episodes and whatnot, but been restricted any exclusive editing or cuts to them. It's the studios I blame, not the filmmakers. They don't owe us anything and they don't release the product. I'm not giving my money to them when I purchase my DVD's, so I'm holding the production companies responsible.

If I never see another Director's Cut label again, it would be too soon!

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I'm not buying this edited set. Remember folks, they still rerun Beavis and Butthead, complete, unedited, and with original music videos intact, on MTV2. The VCR (or DVD-R) is your friend. ;)

Robert Cruz

Stunt Coordinator

The MTV2 versions are badly edited and unwatchable (especially the seasons 2 and 3 episodes). All the fire references and other crazy stuff are gone, and they actually changed a music video in one of the season 1 episodes (might've happened for a couple of other episodes too). I think the later seasons episodes remain uncut or close enough, since they were just a shell of what the early seasons episodes were to begin with.

I could've sworn the season 2 stuff from the Time Life releases had the fire references removed too, and the episode title cards were changed as well. Maybe someone can help me with that one...

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I saw the set on the shelves of a major retailer today (guess they broke the street date, I wasn't sure if it came out last week or not). I ended up getting it.

Didn't read this thread before, and while the cuts are disappointing, I don't know if it is enough reason to avoid the set altogether. There are a lot of extras on it that aren't on the Time Life sets.

And "Director's Cut" is different than "Complete and Uncut" so it isn't really false advertising.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
The packaging does not say "Beavis & Butt-head: The Director's Cut," it says "Beavis & Butt-head: The Mike Judge Collection." The mention of director's cuts appears in this line:

MTV isn't hiding anything with this set. They're not using fancy terms to cover the edits; they labled them "Director's cuts" and mention that the creator has personally edited them.

I understand you're upset with edits being done, but no one is hiding the fact that these are edited. Judge could have told MTV "I'll do this set, but only if I get final approval on the episodes, and I get to edit material out that I don't like." Judge and MTV weren't exactly friends at the end of the run of the show, were they?

Gord

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I'm not saying I believe that the cuts have artistic merit or anything like that. I don't want ANY changes...additions or subtractions.

All I am saying is that whenever I read director's cut or any other such advertising, I assume there will be changes made. I don't like them nor do I want the changes to be made. I just mean that I do not feel like I have been misled or anything or anything of that nature. I am only disappointed and a bit aggravated that the episodes have been edited.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks