Hardware Review Dyson Animal DC65 Upright Vacuum: REVIEW (Is it Worth Spending $500+ For A Vacuum?)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 26, 2014.

?

Would you pay $500 or more for a vacuum like this?

1. Yes, I look at this as a premium product that is worthy of its cost

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. I would look for cheaper options when looking at a new vacuum

19 vote(s)
    63.3%
  1. sidburyjr

sidburyjr Second Unit

Dick Sidbury
    I think your review was reasonable. I have a bunch of vacuums.
    1) A Kirby upright that is almost 40 years old and still works but is hard to maneuver and for which putting attachments on is doable but not easy.
    2) An Oreck XL that is about 10 or more years old and still works relatively good. It lightweight and easy to maneuver. It has no attachnments
    3)-4) Along with the Oreck came a small vacuum for use when you would want to use the attachments.and an Oreck Shop type vac
    5) Another shop vac that I may have inherited from the basement of the house I used to own.
    6 ..?) Small handheld vacuums (dirt devil and it's ilk that are handy for small jobs, the car, etc) We had one on each floor of our house and my wife had one at her store.

And about two or three weeks ago Amazon in its deal of the day had a Dyson DC42 animal ( or maybe a DC41) on sale for 339 and I bought it. I've used it several times since it arrived. When I took it out of the box it felt much heavier than the Oreck but when I picked them up together the difference was small. The Dyson is harder to push than the Oreck but both are reasonably maneuverable. I like the rotating animal brush. For me the hose is very stiff. I hope I get the hang of how to work it properly after a few more trials.

I'm still not vacuuming our house the way it should be. We moved from PA to SC just before Christmas and still have dozens of boxes lying around everywhere that I promise I'll take care of Real Soon Now. (I haven't even connected my sound system to my ST60 yet, but that's not as high a priority to my wife as other things are.)

Oh, and I was in Bed, Bath, and Beyond a few days ago and overheard a salesman talking to a couple. He said that the vacuum that I just bought has been discontinued (which is probably why I got it for such a "low" price). But it works fine and in reviews at various places there is much gnashing of teeth about the decline of quality in Dysons compared to the good old days.

2. Dougofthenorth

Dougofthenorth Stunt Coordinator

Doug
    RE: " But it works fine and in reviews at various places there is much gnashing of teeth about the decline of quality in Dysons compared to the good old days."

If true - that is really sad - how much then would every single last corp try & $crew us out of - at any cost?

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I am well aware of the posts across the internet from Dyson owners
    complaining that the new models are more cheaply made than the
    trusty older ones. That is one of the main complaints I understood
    when doing an immense amount of Internet research.

As for the hose, allegedly the more you use it, the more it loosens up.
    I seem to be experiencing some loosening after several weeks of use.

4. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I can't speak about Dyson, as I have never owned one. My experience with the Panasonic Ultra commercial upright with a 10 amp motor, is by far the best vacuum I've ever used. slightly under 10,000 hours use, and it still runs like a dream. With an annual change of the beater bar it seems like it will never die. I believe it goes for about $200. A great vacuum .

panasonic.jpg

5. Dougofthenorth

Doug
    Indeed it has become very pliable with no thinning or leaks

& we have never needed to change parts, including any beater parts
    or any of the many attachments we have

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    My problem with Dyson...

Cost.

They seem to think "doesn't lose suction" is a big thing. Well, they do lose suction. So does my Kirby.

The biggest farce...the "fan without blades". Sure...ok. What about the blades in the bottom blowing up?

7. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Owner
    Owner

Dave Upton
    I have a new Kirby Sentria. Certainly a little less maneuverable, but it can suck the dirt out of anything. Been very happy with it.

8. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

Is it worth it to buy the Animal version of a Dyson upright even if you don't have any pets? I live alone and am a bit of a clean freak so was just wondering if the Animal version cleans even better than the non-animal version.

9. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Allan,

I believe the DC65 is the full-sized vacuum. I think its power alone is worth
    investigating even if you don't have animals.

Look at this page for their line of uprights (they also have canisters listed elsewhere)

http://www.dyson.com/vacuum-cleaners/upright

At the bottom of that page you will find "Help Me Choose A Dyson Vacuum" which
    might allow you to find the exact one that fits your needs.

I am still happy with mine. It does an amazing job, and quite frankly, I could get away
    with vacuuming every two weeks instead of one except for the fact that my cats are
    shedding now.

10. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

Thanks Ron! I've got lots of carpet so the Animal models look to be ideal for my home.

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

So the DC65s are $100 off until June 14 at most retailers. I'm tempted. I've been wanting to put my nearly 10 year old DC07 out to pasture. It still works but I really want to have the ball technology for improved maneuverability, plus I think the 65 weighs 33% less (or more) than my DC07. Very tempted to pick one up...

12. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Cinematographer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Finally took the plunge and purchased the DC65 Anmal Complete, and couldn't be happier. Thankfully, I was able to get it at a nice discount.

13. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    This continues to be the best vacuum I ever owned.

The carpet looks beautiful even a week later. Never had that look
    with my older Kenmore.

14. Dougofthenorth

Doug
    As long as you clean the reusable filters periodically, it should persist in doing an excellent job...

15. John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910 Second Unit

John Maher
    I detest bagless vacuum cleaners. I gave my Dyson away and got a Hoover Wind Tunnel with a bag, and love it. It's more powerful than the Dyson, too.

Michael_K_Sr likes this.
  16. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Oddly enough, I was reading an article in my local co-op's magazine about a manufacturer here in Missouri. I don't know anything about them really but it looked interesting:

http://madeintheusavacuum.com/

17. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

Be careful with those moves.

Just had my first yard sale a few weeks ago. Dozen of boxes also, which had sat in the basement storage area for 19 years, untouched and forgotten, that "I promised to take care of".Amazed at some of the stuff I found, but most of it sold and I made some pretty good cash. If I haven't used it in 19 years, I probably wasn't going to miss it.
    Just dumped the bag from my 50+ year old Electrolux tube vacuum. Permanent bag, I have no idea what the fabric is, but it's great for 3-D items like black lab fur, fireplace ashes and spider webs. Doubtful it would stand up to a HEPA filter, but does a darn good job.With warm weather like this, I aim the exhaust portion out an open door, so no dust inside.

18. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

I have Dyson vacuum that terminates dust. :P

[​IMG]

19. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Is that the Brother from Another Planet?

andySu likes this.
  20. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Funny thing, my old childhood cat loved to get vacuumed with the brush attachment on the old Electrolux my mum had. The thing was loud as hell too, but he loved it, especially when you sucked the top of his head. :)

I need to get a new vacuum and am waffling on the Dyson price tag. this might have convinced me to go for it. Last vacuum I got was couple years ago and needing to be replaced, that one cost just under $200. $600 to hopefully get at least 8 years, probably more, isn't that bad when you look at it.