What's new

DVR + Satellite box in one? (1 Viewer)

Are there stand alone HDDVR recorders that do not also need a satellite box? Im upgrading the equipment in an old room and im trying to keep all my connections to a minimum. If they do exist whats the price range on them?

If they dont exist how does the connections between the sat box, dvr, and tv look?

satellite-> sat box -(component)-> DVR -(hdmi/component)-> TV?

and in this case you would only use the DVR remote correct?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There is no DVR made that will record HD from a satellite box like you describe above.

If you were originally asking if there is a combined HD sat receiver/DVR box, then yes there are many. Depends on the satellite provider that you use and many other factors. Give me some more details about your system and I'll try to help.

-Robert

i have direct tv. and a 720p tv.

Im looking for 1 box i can use for rewinding, pausing, and recording shows and what not. I dont need to be able to record in HD but i do want to watch live tv in HD obviously. direct tv has a dvr but i couldnt find information on whether it replaces the satellite box or not. Basically I just want to have 1 box and the tv.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You want the HR20-700 receiver. Call DirecTV and ask what it will cost to upgrade. You will then be put on a waiting list since this is a popular receiver and the production is running behind. You will also want a 5LNB dish so you can get the satellite delivered HD channels. D* is also rolling out a software upgrade to enable the OTA tuner. This will allow you to record digital channels via the antenna input.

If you want a Tivo interface, the HR10-250 is available on Ebay and a few select retailers. They are no longer in production and can't tune in/record the new MPEG4 channels. They will always be able to record SD programming and OTA digital though. Some people, like me, don't want to give up their Tivo interface.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks