What's new
World Wide Stereo

DVI to HDMI ? (1 Viewer)

mossman70

Auditioning
Real Name
Sean
Hi, I'm pretty new to all this so bear with me !!. I've got a Panasonic TH42PX600 Plasma which as you all probably now has 2 HDMI inputs and a VGA (15pin mini sub) input on the rear. I have a NVidia GeForce FX5200 card on my PC which has a DVI-I and a VGA output on it. I have my monitor connected to the VGA output so was wondering if its possible to connect my PC to Plasma either by a DVI to HDMI cable or use a HDMI to HDMI cable with a DVI to HDMI adaptor on the PC or use the VGA on the Plasma to connect to the VGA on my PC. As I said I'm pretty new to all this but is it my understanding that HDMI carrys video and audio and if I connect to the Plasma with a DVI to HDMI cable I will lose the audio. If this is the case how do I get audio to the Plasma? I am looking at buying an AV reciever (Yamaha RXV359) to connect my surround speakers too so would I have to connect from my sound card on the PC to this? I'm sorry if this has been placed in the wrong thread..Many Thanks in advance!! Sean

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Use a DVI to HDMI cable for the video and Red/White RCA analog audio cable(s) (probably have to have a stereo mini-plug adapter on the PC end) for the audio. The HDMI input on the TV should have a corresponding analog audio input, plug the RCA's in there. If your soundcard on the PC has a digital audio out (Coax/Optical, or an adapter of some sort), that would be what you want to connect to the suround receiver, otherwise the best surround you will get is Dolby Pro-Logic, which is far inferior to Dolby Digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomkzufomsg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale