DVHS Issues?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Keith M., May 2, 2003.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Im thinking of picking one of the DVHS decks now that the prices are coming down...

Are there any known issues I should be aware of and who currently has the lowest price?

Sorry, the search is not working...[​IMG]

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

It depends what you mean by issues. [​IMG]

3. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

I would never buy a DVHS deck. I just don't see the point in spending a bunch of money on a teeny tiny niche format that has very minimal software available, and will only last as long as it takes for HD-DVD to make it's appearance. Not only that, but it's tape, so it's a nice step backwards in lastability and useabilty, and value for the money...

I guess if you are the type that must have everything, go for it, the picture quality is certainly impressive.

4. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter
    Supporter

Keith Plucker
    You may want to check out the HDTV Recorders section over on AVSForum.com.

There was a thread here some time back that mentioned threads over at AVS dealing with the reliability or lack thereof on the decks.

-Keith

5. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

6. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

For crying out loud: Do NOT use this thread to air your anti-D-VHS rants. Keith is asking for specific information regarding the reliability of D-VHS machines, not for tape-bad/disc-good diatribes.

8. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    I have been using the standard definition DirecTV D-VHS VCRs for over 3 years with great results. All D-VHS VCRs are more finicky than analog VCRs, with little tape imperfections or dirty heads causing noticeable glitches. Mine require high grade SVHS or D-VHS tape to get acceptable results. The VCR heads require more frequent cleaning which I do by taking the top off the VCR and using a chamois and isopropyl alcohol. It seems I have to clean them about once or twice a year or perhaps every 100-200 hours of use. I am considering an HDTV D-VHS VCR now that the prices are reasonable. I think D-VHS is good format but I certainly could not fault anybody for waiting until HDTV DVD recorders are available. Fuji H471S SVHS tape is the best tape to use in my opinion.

Chris

9. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Thanks for the input...

How is the build quality of the unit? I currently own the JVC 9400U flagship svhs from a few years back. And was not very impressed compared to other manufacturers offerings. Yet, the picture quality for svhs on this deck is very crisp.

Is the fan very loud? Is studio support diminishing? Why are the prices dropping so quickly? Should I just patiently wait out the "next" format?

10. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Keith,
    Have you found anyone in town who actually has the jvc 3000 in stock?

11. Nathan_R

nevermind, I called onecall instead. Apparently, none of the "majors" in town have any. [​IMG]

12. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Im going to order online, service/price in the b&m stores in ATL is disappointing...

Does onecall have em in stock and for how much?

13. Nathan_R

I think I got the last one yesterday. I called in my order. We missed all the good sales. Vann's has the lowest price from an authorized dealer (~$493), but ABT is the lowest priced authorized dealer who lists them in stock right now @ $565. I believe they have a few coupons to bring that down a bit.
    Best regards,
    ~~Nathan

14. Joe Reed

Joe Reed Stunt Coordinator

Keith, I think sutdio support (from the ones that do support) is not diminshing at all, in July we will se Daredevil, Phone Booth, and There's something about Mary come out, I personally cannot wait.

Does anyone know when JVC's 40000 series is coming, out the new deck supports DTS. [​IMG]