What's new

DVD Storage Cabinets (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I believe it was William Morris who said that you should only have two types of thing in your house - items that you know to be practical and items that you believe to be beautiful. The storage solutions shown here are practical and beauty is, as they say, in the eye of the beholder. What suits one person may not suit another, but hey, it's differences that make us interesting.

FWIW, my own storage solution is a set of plain solid wood minimalist IKEA bookcases. My wife and I chose them because the shelves are deep and the DVDs are almost a full DVD's width hack from the front of the shelf. The shelves match the decor and house style, and the deep shelves have the effect of making the sight of 600+ DVDs a little less overbearing (plus we've somewhere to put a cup of coffee ;) ).

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I have the same ones as Jimi C, two sets which are now full. One nice thing about them is that they come with extra shelf boards so I took some angle brackets and made seperate single shelves out of those. Works great to display nice boxsets and packaging that would normally get lost in the jungle of other dvd's.

I couldn't imagine ever spending that much on dvd storage. Probably will look great though. :D

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm interested in the shelves that John posted pictures of or I'm interested in getting one of those that spins. Are there cheaper prices out there or should I expect to pay around $300? I'm getting ready to move in a month and right now I've got my collection scattered among at least twelve different shelves and I really need to cut down on the space.

I've went to buy those shelves so many times but then I always back out and just buy movies with the money so.....

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
I use retail shelving for mine. I used to work for Borders and we did a remodel and I was able to snag 5 shelving units that we used for VHS and DVD.

This is an old picture in a different apartment. I had to get something else to hold my books and CDs. Right now I have the tall one and three of the small one for my collection. The red row on the bottom underneath the two small shelves is an old bookcase on its side for my laserdiscs.

--Ian

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Jay, Mark: Thanks for the links! I'm going to be moving in a month so those look like they'd be good for where I'm going.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thought I'd just add a little note, something that people just getting into it or looking for a new setup may not have thought of: almost all of the taller narrow shelf/cabinet storage units must be placed against a wall. They are very unstable if not, an accident waiting to happen. Never mind that the backs are often unfinished and ugly.

Something to consider if looking for a "unified" system for a dedicated room or space. I ran into this when I ran out of wall... So, I'd recommend getting as tall shelves as you can reach comfortably, make good use of that vertical wall space.

I made the mistake of thinking I'd never need more than one short rack, then surely 2 will be enough, this third will be the last I'll ever need, well there's just enough room left for a fourth, that oughta do it... Instead of building up, I built horizontally. Try not to fall into that trap, most racks aren't stackable, you have to choose height at the beginning.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I made the mistake of thinking I'd never need more than one short rack, then surely 2 will be enough, this third will be the last I'll ever need, well there's just enough room left for a fourth, that oughta do it...

:laugh: Ain't that the sad truth....

I use one of these and, even with transferring most of my titles into ThinPaks, I'm finding myself getting to the "uh-oh...what am I going to do now? mode...and how is my wife going to kill me?!" :D

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

What were we seeing there Marco?

6K for a thick piece of glass and two mission style sawhorses?

I liked it but I'm not sure I understood what the expense was.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Mike: the sad truth is I got 4 *more* of those racks (total 8) before I caught on...and started building UP. Each rack would be the LAST. And why this thread caught me was because I need more. Tall ones.

Sure each short rack holds 250 or something, they say. Maybe thin keepcases and digipaks. But not the boxes and odd shapes we started getting after 2000 or so.

I'm a little distressed too at how much good steel stuff has gone up in the last year. For years there was a glut of North American steel, a lot of places shut down, add Chinese demand for raw materials, now the price is high. And the fabricators in NA have really jacked up the prices, and they weren't cheap before.

Your shelf looks nice. And has a wide base that some don't have, for stability. You could probably put those shelves anywhere. My storage room looks like a supermarket thanks to the short racks...you walk up and down the rows. The best I can say is nobody else sees it...

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
That sure is a nice classy shelf but it makes me think of all the dust that would accumulate on it over time. ::shivers:: Scary.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Good, another guy who doesn't dust his shelves.;) You have to take everything out to get all the dust off...forget that! I learned this with bookshelves. With racks, just the top edges of the top row of discs get dusty. Where does it come from?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks