What's new

DVD Recorder advice please, spend my money... (1 Viewer)

MitchP

Grip
That is not what I saw on www.6ave.com for the Panasonic DMR-E50K.

It showed 90 days labor and 12 months parts
I checked out a few sites most do not lists warranty info. But Circuit City does and all Panny dvd recorders are 12/12.

I also have purshased a E-20 and HS2 and both came with a 12/12 warranty. I know someone who has a E-30 and it also came with a 12/12 warranty. So it looks like 6ave.com is wrong.

Also Onecall.com shows the Panny dvd recorders come with a 12/12 warranty.
http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_18364.htm

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
How is dvd-r with older Toshiba players (1500, 1700)? It would be nice to have a rw support on Panasonics that is more portable for other players than dvd-ram. I see once call lists the 80S for $699.

Judy Y

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if any of these recorders;

1) have progressive scan??
2) will record in widescreen 480p??

I suppose that would require recording INPUTS that are component................

I have a widescreen tv and am very interested in DVD recording or HD recording- but won't settle for less than 480p widescreen............... otherwise, I will wait for a better and less complicated HD recording solution...

Thanks!

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Judy:

Maybe you can help educate me because I have about 2.5 weeks to return my Pioneer Elite 7000.

I do know that the Pioneer is a very good Progressive scan DVD player. I also have a Tosh 57HDX82 TV with very good conversion 480 - 540 p and 720p - 1080i I believe.

The Pioneer does not record in HD. How, much difference do you think that would make in home recording home videos from my old vcr tapes?

Why is HD recording so important to you?

Mike

Rick Anderson

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Panasonic DMR HS2 with the built-in hard disc and it's worked perfect for me so far. It's a very good unit.

Judy Y

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

Judging from the above posts, making a DVD from a VHS tape should look at least as good as the VHS tape. A HiDef recorder wouldn't make it look any better. I have some home movies I would like to put on DVD as well, and, if that were all I was interested in, I would buy one of these things in a heartbeat. However, I have become spoiled by the higher quality of picture I get from DVD widescreen movies in 480P and HiDef from satellite and OTA. I just can't bring myself to watch anything less than 480p- it looks so bad compared to 480p and HiDef.

Also, my tv is an older mits widescreen. It locks on full screen with non-anamorphic wide screen or full screen dvd's. I worry about burn in and try to limit watching 4:3 material. I would love to record widescreen programming that is on while I am at work. (Uh, I guess this means I need a recorder with a timer????? Hmmm.... hadn't thought of THAT one.... do any of these recorders also have timers?)

Thanks, for any info!

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Judy:

My Tosh does have a very good line doubler. Saying that - I'm concerned about burn in and what I've done when watching cable is to output a seperate S-Video cable to the TV from the high def cable box.

The TV then locks on its Full Screen mode which is a real nice stretch which takes up the WHOLE Screen. For High Def I switch to a different input on the TV.

The stretchs aren't as nice coming thru the component out on my high def box versus the S-Video for normal viewing.

The Pioneer does have timers for recording programs on a DVD-rw. You can use three different modes for setting up timed recordings. The Neat thing I like is that the 7000 is in sync with the Cable box automatically on time and you can mark the cable box for recording and the Pioneer knows this.

It also has DV IN and OUT which can allow your computer to act as the hardrive.

It also has some serious video quality adjustments you can make to the recording. I haven't used these yet but there is 9 or 10 different settings including black level, white balance, color saturation, green tint levels, and others I can't think of right now.

So, I'm pretty happy with the thing as a recorder and a DVD player but I'm alwys wondering what I may be missing.

Mike

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, I am about to take the plunge into the dmr-e50 and wanted to know from the other panasonic users what are some good cheap but reliable dvd-r's I would need about 100.
Any good sites?

I will basically be usind the recorder to record old movies and tv shows from vhs to dvd, and old music videos.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Good qusetions, all...

Are there ANY DVD recorders who have a good pic. playback wise? I'm looking to maybe upgrade. Do any have SAGE-FAROUDJA de-interlacing? It seems like you can't have both recording and top-quality playback.
Also, I think all NTSC DVD's are 480i and it's the player that de-interlaces and then outputs as 480P, no...? If DVD's were 480P, they wouldn't play in non-prog. scan players. (I think...)

:) D

Rick Anderson

Stunt Coordinator
"Hey guys, I am about to take the plunge into the dmr-e50 and wanted to know from the other panasonic users what are some good cheap but reliable dvd-r's I would need about 100.
Any good sites?

I will basically be usind the recorder to record old movies and tv shows from vhs to dvd, and old music videos."

I haven't ordered any off the internet, but I have bought and used Maxell, Verbatim and Memorex discs from Best Buy and they've all worked.

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Dave Mack,

Mitsubishi makes such a recorder here in Japan (the 10000 I think), but I don't think it is in America yet. You can ask www.pricejapan.com for a price quote but I think it is about $1800 (about 200,000 yen)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks