What's new

DVD recordable: what to buy? (1 Viewer)

Steve J

Agent
Hiya,
I had been interested in buying Sony's digital studio PC which includes a combo DVD-R/RW recorder. Then I read about HP's new DVD+RW drive which records dics that play on most standard DVD players already on the market and has cheaper rewritable blank media...
Anyone done any research or have an opinions on the various formats?
Thanks,
Steve
------------------
xciteboy

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Pioneer A03 is the best drive. They (no pun) pioneered the DVD-R format, and have the most experience in the field. I believe that's what the Sony has in it
Jeff Kleist

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
DVD-R plays on most DVD players. Maybe +RW plays on more, but -R/RW works on the Pioneer and Panasonic players I've tried. The drives and media are here and available now. Dunno when that can be said for +RW, maybe soon, maybe months.
I suppose if you can wait, you should and see which turns out to be dominant. But if you need/want to do something now, you can go with -R/RW. The -R discs will continue to work even if the format goes away. You would lose the rewritability of the -RW discs if your drive goes kaput though.
//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks