What's new

DVD Profiler, and collecting DVD's.... (1 Viewer)

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
I've come to the conclusion that DVD Profiler is dangerous to have. I decided to get the most recent DVD's that I had purchased entered into it... I figured that I was a few behind only, so I broke out the cuecat barcode scanner. (BTW: Get this thing if you don't have one... the combination of DVD Profiler and the cuecat from Radioshack is unbeatable -- and both are free)... Decided to rescan all of my collection since they were rather haphazardly scattered about. I jumped up 24 DVD's from my last count, and was just shocked.... I had figured that I was being prudent. It made me how I did it.... my only conclusion was that they just add up one by one. Scary.... and then I have so many more to get that are coming out.
So in conclusion.... "Hi, my name is Jim, and I'm a DVD addict"
Peace,
Jim
------------------
[email protected]
Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
(I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
[crowd repies] "HI JIM!"
------------------
SpenceJT
Link Removed
"...now what's all this crud about no movie tonight!"
- Thank you Mr. Lemmon

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Because I also track purchased date and price with DVD Profiller, I've gotten into the habbit of entering them into the database as soon as I get them. If they go on the shelf first, or otherwise become seperated from the receipt, my information could become invalid, and then I won't be able to give an accurate dollar report to my girlfriend. She uses that report to justify her My Little Pony collecting. :)
------------------
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I can't stand dvdprofiler but yes keeping track of your DVDs in such a way can lead to madness. I used to use dvdtracker back when they where a free service and it does drive you to buy a few more discs than you normally would.
I would not go out and buy titles cheap or anything like that just to expand my list, But I would find that whenever the last 2 digits in my dvd count would hit the 90's , a certain need to go out and buy a few more than usual. Now I keep my Link Removed

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
My wife and I agreed I could have a library of DVDs, but the library had to be capped at a set number of DVDs. Now I routinely sell off old/updated/unwatched DVDs at Half.com and EBay and everyone is happy. I get to enjoy a nice, up-to-date library of DVDs and my wife has the satisfaction of knowing I'm funding purchases of new discs through the sale of old ones.
Frankly, I don't understand the necessity of having hundreds of DVDs sitting on a shelf. It seems like conspicuous consumption, not to mention the hassle of managing so many discs, the amount of cash tied up in unwatched movies, and the storage costs (priced decent shelves lately?!).
It just seems easier all around to get it under control. Plus, I end up appreciating the discs I have all the more.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I think you're right to an extent. Cataloging your discs can help add to the need to get more factor. It was the case for me back when the deals were everywhere. Now that the days of 3 for $1 and $20 no minimum coupons are over I find my collection growing very slowly. Many titles coming out have moved from must get to maybe get sometime. If I had to guess I'd say I bought about 450 titles back in the deal days. Since then I've only bought about 100 more. I find that now I consider a title much more than I used to. I sold about 150 discs last fall and am getting ready to go through and thin out my collection again.
------------------
-Brian
http://www.brianeberling.com/collection.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks