What's new

DVD PQ... is it my player or the dvd? (1 Viewer)

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
I just got Finding Nemo tonight... and to my surprise, there seems to be ghosting around some of the fish while in medium/dark areas of the ocean.

Basically, Marlin somtimes seems as though he's glowing... same with the blue fish and some of the others. But it rarely (if ever) happened in any of the fish tank scenes.

Here's a pic from IGN that kinda shows what I'm talking about (look hard above Marlin's top fin) http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/Finding%20Nemo-4.jpg

Also, at the end... Marlin hugs Nemo and kinda leans over. there's shadow that's created on him, which is pixelated/fuzzy. Is that an example of the Chroma Bug?

I have a Mits DD-8040 with the Faroudja deinterlacer... But I've recently read here that the Faroudja doesn't garauntee the lack of the Chroma Bug.

If somebody could let me know if it's the DVD itself, the player, or even my tv (Panny 53wx53)... I'd appreciate it.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I don't have the DVD yet, so I can't comment on the transfer, but as far as the TV is concerned, I would make sure the sharpness is set properly and the Velocity Scan Modulation is off. Have you calibrated the set with Avia or VE?

DJ

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Your symptom sounds like EE to me, not the chroma bug. The chroma bug (CUE) is only evident on a scene with a large red color area above or below a black area - you see some black lines thru the red region on the top or bottom if you have the chroma bug. The Mitsubishi DD-8040 does some weird artifacts if you have sharpness set too high.

In that picture what you describe is just caused by a MPEG2 compression artifact, thats on the DVD itself they must have used too small a bitrate to fit more extras on the DVD. Thats why Superbit DVDs are higher quality (fewer such compression artifacts) due to using a higher bitrate.

KurtisE

Auditioning
I have no idea what it is, but, I have the exact same thing happening with my set-up which is an ED panansonic televison and an OLD Sony DVD (non-progressive) player. Same fuzzy or glowing look in the same areas of the movie that you described.

Kurt

David Judah

Screenwriter
I see what you mean, Joe. It's not EE--it looks like an animation anomaly that they missed(like little paint splashes outside the borders of the fish). I had to be right up on the set to notice it on the blue fish, but it was easily apparent with the orange fish when they were with the sharks near the minefield.

Other than that, the video looked superb(can't wait to see it in HD down the road)and the soundtrack was excellent with alot of directional activity and LFE.

I'm glad those Disney and Pixar titles are done so well considering I have to watch them over and over with my kids.:)

DJ

david stark

Second Unit
I've just picked up the dvd and it's very obvious on my setup watching from a normal view distance. It looks like they have animated the backgrounds and then put the fish on top with a bit of water surrounding them. It's most obvious on long shots where you can see marlon (or another small fish) swimming through water (against a dark blue background).

Apart from that everything looks great, I can't remember if I saw this problem at the cinema or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks