What's new

DVD Player sales momentum continues to decline! (1 Viewer)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
OK - it's nothing to get worried about. Just a typical trend on new technology and was predicted last month (by me).

In Feburary there were 736,118 players sold in the U.S.which is 32% more then LAST Feburary.

In Feburary 2000 there was 267% increase, 2001 had a 39% increase and 2002 a 32% increase.

January 2002 there was an actual DECREASE in sales over the same period in 2001.

March and November have ben the biggest sales month for players. Last year March 2001 had 193% MORE sales then March 2000 and with sales really taking off the last 1/2 of Feburary I expect March to be a big seller espicially with rebate checks coming in.

Nothing to worry about, just a slowing of momentum as the HT owners now have one or two and now the fence sitters are finally seeing that VCR's a now old technology.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
What's VHS doing?

That's what we 'need' too look at. Last time I saw figures, Feb. for Jan [I believe], VHS was in decline & DVD sales were up. This was the first time that had ever happened. As long as people are 'going' [sales will still be more for VHS, we just want to be 'growing' more than VHS] to DVD more than VHS, we are 'safe'!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
DVD Player sales moementum continues to decline!
I don't think anyone expected DVD player sales to continue to increase by 200% every month. Another question to ask is - What is the percentage of homes that now own a DVD player? With all the players that have been sold in the last year, it seems logical that the percentage of increase is going to decrease.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Another important aspect (and I'm not an economist) is that electronics and home entertainment sales have done well while other areas of the economy have dipped. Clearly, as Marty said, one cannot expect 200% increase every month. I think DVD player sales will continue to be strong.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
According to the DVD entertainment group’s figures published in the latest Widescreen Mag, DVD is the fastest selling electronic product ever, in 2001 16,700,000 units were sold, for a total of 31,300,000 in 5 years, it took VCR 13 years to reach this numbers, there is a DVD players in one of four American homes and DVD software sales are ahead of VHS for the first time.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Some things to keep in mind:
The economy sucks. :) Might have something to do with it.
DVD is the fastest growing A/V product EVER. LPs, CDs, VHS, 8-track tape (!): ain't got nuttin' on DVD...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks