What's new

dvd player or tv acting funny? (1 Viewer)

TrevorJ

Auditioning
Hi all i havent posted or been on here in a few mnths now,but what better place to post a problem i'm having.
This one is gonna be hard to explain because i dont know what you would call it.
Here goes while watching some dvd movies i have noticed recently the scenes or pictures are leaving tracers of themselves for milliseconds.It's hard to pick a word to describe this but it's like a bad acid trip .MAN THIS IS HARD TO PUT INTO WORDS.
I am pretty sure it's my player,But i should probably try another input on the tv.
I am assuming you'll want more info for this or maybe some cat out there knows exactly what i mean and can point me in the right direction.
dvd player=tosh 2200 dual tray 1 1/2 yrs old.
T.V.=tosh 55hx70.
thnx for any input.
cheers.

JorgeN

Grip
I don't know exactly what you mean because of your limited description, but does your tv "flicker" or "roll over" when there are bright scenes or explosions? If you have Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, go to the menu and select an option. When you select an option the swords of the two women clash and a bright light flashes. Does your tv flicker then?!
Please let me know, and then I will be able to tell you if it is the tv or DVD.
Jorge

TrevorJ

Auditioning
No no it's not like that.I guess you could call it like ghosting or something a like.Like if the camera is positoned on somebody's head ,and the actor turn's their head really fast i get these milliseconds of tracers left of where the person started turning their head almost MATRIX like slow motion.

Colin A

Auditioning
I get a problem that appears on dark scenes and skin tone close ups. It appears as a double image.
This problem happens on some DVD's and older films especially Star Wars on my cable network.
I have been told the problem lies in TV technology and flat screen / !00Hz. engines not being quite ready for the market. I don't know if your problem is similar, but if it is , there is nothing you can do unless you can switch to 50Hz.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
RE: Tracers like comet tails on small bright spots, or afterimages or ghosting of the previous position of the subject...
1. Phosphors on picture tube or projection TV CRT's have unusually long persistence. Too short a persistencemakes interlace flicker more prominent, too long makes these tracers more prominent. (All DVD's, broadcasts, etc.)
2. Most movie cameras, particularly when filming dark scenes, have a shutter speed not fast enough to avoid blurring in the individual film frames. You can see this when single stepping through your video (Most DVD's, but a few may not have this problem).
3. If the movie was "televised" as opposed to "filmed", the video camera may have a slow recovery of its light sensing element (inverse of phosphor persistence) so succeeding video frames as recorded have this tracer or afterimage. (Some DVDs but not others)
4. Inherent to interlaced scanning and also present in less than good quality de-interlacing, there is a double exposure effect called combing (no relationship to comb filters) as even lines and odd lines painted on the screen at or nearly at the same time are from non-matching film frames.
CUrrently there is no U.S. standard equivalent to 100 Hz PAL. Interlaced NTSC is 30 Hz (fps) where the interlacing gives the effect of 60 Hz. Progressive NTSC is 60 Hz. There is a 960i constructed by staggering alternate (480p) progressive NTSC frames, but that is also 60 Hz. Progressive PAL as far as I know is 50 Hz.
More video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on August 28, 2001 at 07:16 AM]

Rick P.

Stunt Coordinator
This sounds like a digital compression artifact problem to me. I used to see this all the time when watching TNN before I aligned my satellite dish. People's foreheads were the worst (probably because you watch people's faces more closely than the rest of the screen) - their head would turn but their forehead always seemed to 'stay behind' for a fraction of a second. It looked sort of creepy - like the skin was boiling or something. If this problem just started to happen recently, I'd blame your DVD player.
Rick
------------------
[Edited last by Rick P. on August 29, 2001 at 10:08 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks