What's new

DVD pet peeve (1 Viewer)

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
The layer change thing has to be one of the biggest peeves. What moron at the DVD authoring plant picks where the splits are?? I have maybe two or three where the layer change is in between scenes or in the middle of a fade which isn't too bad. But most are in the middle of a scene, conversation, etc.etc.

Another nice thing about backup copies, you can pick your own self where the split (from one disc to another) is.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
Plenty of shades for a nice anti-aliasing job. And as I said, I've seen it done very well at least on one DVD.
The 2 Star Wars DVD had good subtitles, though I've never really had a problem with subtitle fonts. Perhaps the issue is that they are using the fonts that are built into the decoder?
A seperate issue is that my old Proscan player will "flicker" the subtitles... grr..

nick

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The 2 Star Wars DVD had good subtitles
and also had a lot of $$ behind the production. Cutting costs is probably the reason for the poorer subtitle jobs, so they do it as down and dirty (and as quickly) as possible.

As much as we'd like to hope, DVD production isn't done from the heart, it's done from the wallet.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
What's funny is that I have never really noticed these player generated subtitles. Perhaps it is because I have only ever had one DVD players, and the one I have used pretty decent fonts, I don't know.

Kalle Karpaasi

Auditioning
What's funny is that I have never really noticed these player generated subtitles. Perhaps it is because I have only ever had one DVD players, and the one I have used pretty decent fonts, I don't know.
Erm, one of the points I was trying to make was that these subtitles are not player generated but are generated/rendered/drawn by the DVD authors as bitmaps that the player just overlays on top of the DVD image. Perhaps the problem with the subtitles is more apparent with a larger projection screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks