What's new

DVD Beaver closes its doors. Please help them reopen! Read This Please! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We are very proud to be part of a community
that consists of several fine websites dedicated
to the subject of DVD.

It really hurts us when one of our friends is
in trouble. In this case, that friend happens
to be DVDBEAVER.COM.

We are uncertain how many of you visit DVDBEAVER
on a regular basis and benefit from the information
that is posted there. We are certain that many of
you are familiar with the forum's owner, Gary
Tooze
, who just happens to be a member of this
forum who frequently contributes invaluable DVD
information and statistics.

As we have mentioned to many of you before, DVD
forums like ours receive very little advertising
support from some Hollywood studios that use the Internet
and our forums as a marketing tool. The studios
would rather take their advertising elsewhere than
to invest in the on-line communities that help
support them. While DVD forums provide a wealth
of daily FREE information for its readers, the
sites are mostly run out of the pockets of its
owners.

DVDBEAVER.COM claims they feel embarrassed
to have to resort to a donation drive. They should
not be. Home Theater Forum has also resorted to
donation drives in the past when times were tough --
and thanks to the donations of our membership we
will not have to do a donation drive next year.

We would appreciate our members helping our friends
at DVDBEAVER.COM keep their doors open.

For more information Please Click Here

Thank You

Ronald Epstein
Parker Clack

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Other threads have already brought this up, but hopefully this will catch more people's attention.

I've already chipped in, as have others here - SAVE THE BEAVER!

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
Never heard of the site, but it's sad to read anyways.

Still if it's a $$$ loser, then no doubt long term the site owner is best served closing it down and moving on.

Regarding your mini-rant Ron, the problem w/ forums (such as this) and DVD websites you know first hand... too many "zealots" who the studios don't feel are representative of the average paying consumer. Nevermind the studios are in what they see as a no-win situation as everything they do (good and bad) gets bashed with the same vigor. Bad news & hate spreads alot faster than praise.

DVDs selling for $7.99 at Target/Walmart are the reason why DVD sales are exploding, not internet forums.

chrisMCG

Agent
Running a site can be darned expensive - I hope that the Beav will have the chance to re-open its doors. But I wouldn't have gone with Save the Beaver, Shave the Beaver would have been a hit with Internet geeks everywhere...

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
That'd be a shame, as this site is an extraordinarily unique resource. Moreover, it's a labor of love, not a profit-making enterprise.

Gary's pulled together a group of fantastic folk from around the world who chip in to make the Beaver the best comparitive DVD site on the planet. And it's a site that focuses on films that really matter, not simply the latest mass-produced dreck.

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator
Just made a donation. I've used DVDBeaver countless times to figure out which version of a DVD is best.

John Green

Auditioning
I too just made a donation. DVD Beaver is a unique site and every effort should be made in order to help Gary keep it going.
Best wishes and good luck

Jim Blackie

Stunt Coordinator
I chipped in a week or more ago as soon as I heard. I support public radio, as well. If you use it, and they help you with info, don't you owe something to them?

Some uncaring remarks I've heard here and elsewhere remind me of Scrooge's question to those collecting money for the poor:
"Are there no prisons...Are there no work-houses?"

These are projects of love by dedicated folks contributing their time and money to provide a (for some) valuable service. If you don't use these services, and don't want to contribute, then don't! But keep your "business philosophy" to yourself. Just because it doesn't EARN MONEY - just because it doesn't have any worth for you, does NOT make it worthless.

Go, Gary!

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
*yawn* who said anything is worthless?

In *your* rant you never considered the possibilities of the strain such a site puts on the owner/admin. Maybe it is just time to move on and dedicate his time, $ and devotion to other things, perhaps more important.

Maybe it's not... but to ignore such a possibility is quite ignorant. You probably don't run a large website/forum yourself (i myself do) and it's clear you cannot fathom such an idea.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Yet I cannot for the life of me understand why such an idea is being discussed at all. This is a thread dedicated to raising money for this site, not to discuss the feelings of the owner/admin. It seems to me the very existence of this thread (as well as the messsage on the website) would make it clear that the owner wants to continue the work he's done.

If you want to donate, then do so. If you don't, why are you here?

I donated as I have enjoyed the beaver for some time now and am more than glad to help them out.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure Romier speaks for the multitudes, but let's just move on folks. If you know the Beav, you surely love the Beav... let's help 'em out! :emoji_thumbsup:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Does the Beaver not have any affiliate links or anything? We have Amazon links that more than pay my $500 or so a year to run the site - I'd think they'd do just as well. I know they mentioned they didn't want advertising since they thought it would make them look less objective, which I understand - don't agree, since accepting screeners from studios brings up the same concept of bias, but I understand it. I don't think that Amazon links would cause the same possible taint, so if they don't have them, I'd be curious to know why...

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator
The Beaver's back! Now new and improved with Amazon affiliate links for the DVDs to help keep it thriving.

DVDBeaver.

As Leslie Nielsen would say...Nice Beaver!

John

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Guess that answers my question!:D Based on my experience, the site should be financially set with Amazon links - they don't have me rolling in dough, but they more than cover my expenses...

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I hate to ask, but I'm having trouble affording my DVD purchases for the coming months. As you may or may not know there is a large number of worthwhile DVD's being released and each has a cost of its own. This hobby is as much a labor of love for me as it is for you so I feel we're all like one big community here in our little niche of the internet.
Being able to purchase these upcoming releases will allow me to continue to support forums such as this one with FREE off-topic remarks, rants about why a particular movie sucks, and other comments that keep you reading when you should probably be doing something better with your time. And really isn't it worth a small donation to have one more person here to correct you on your opinions.
Please send me money...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks