What's new

DTS vs. DD (1 Viewer)

Brenton

Screenwriter
I'm kind of a newbie to home theater, and I may be considering a digital surround system in the future. This is probably an elementary question, but could someone explain to me the deal with DTS and Dolby Digital?

Remember, I know nothing about the subject. What's the difference? Which one (in your opinion) is better? What are the benefits and drawbacks to each one?

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
It's like Coke and Pepsi. Both are digital sound formats that do exactly the same thing. Some people say that DTS is better while others claim Dolby to be better.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Brenton,
Welcome to the forum!
Like Michael suggested- there are a couple explainitory posts in the HTF Primer that will help your understanding on this issue (and probably several other issues).
Specifically, you might check out:
Dolby Digital Audio Format by Adam Barratt
DTS Audio Format by Dan Brecher
Dolby Prologic and Prologic II by Chris Tsutsui
Older Surround formats vs. modern 5.1 / 6.1 formats by Patrick Sun
Also, if you're brave- check out this excellent article by HTF moderator Adam Barratt:
http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/adbarr/page1.html
Although it is sometimes a bit technical- I think it is one of the best overviews of the formats I have ever read.
-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks