What's new

DTS sound without using receiver's DTS decoder? (1 Viewer)

James Buhler

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that the DTS decoder on my HK AVR-500 is having some problems. Every now and then when watching a DTS DVD the sound being output from one or more of the speakers in the 5.1 setup will include a really harsh sybillance or 'scratchy' sound. The sound could be equated to the sound that you hear when rotating a noisy or dirty pot on an electronic component. This has actually been happening for years now and I haven't really cared as I could always watch in Dolby Digital. Now however, with my new SVS sub, I have found that the DTS tracks have waaay better bottom end and overall sound than DD and want to use the DTS whenever I can!

As the receiver is no longer under warranty and I have no desire to take it to the shop to get it fixed right now, I was wondering if I can still get DTS sound by hooking up the 5.1 analog outputs on my Pioneer dv.563a to the 6 channel direct inputs on the HK and using the Pioneer to perform the DTS decoding. Will this work? If it will, what are your thoughts on the quality of the DTS decoding in the 563a vs. the HK's?

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide!

James

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It will work.

If it only happens in DTS, it could be your player having a problem with the DTS stream as well. Try out the analog outs, which if you want to listen to m/c SACD/DVD-A you should have hooked up anyway, and see if the problem goes away.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
yeah, i too was wondering why you have that player but don't have the analog multichannel connected already

James Buhler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty sure that the problem isn't with player as I have had the same problem with 3 different DVD players connected to the same receiver over the years.

The reason that I haven't hooked up the analog outs at this point is that it is going to cost about $180.00 CDN + 14% tax for middle of the road interconnects and also, I don't have any DVD-A or SACD discs.

I guess I'll be getting some now!

Thanks again.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
o come on! get yourself 2 runs (2x3) of cheap component video cabling, break open that piggy-bank, buy yourself some hirez discs, and ENJOY THAT PLAYER!

(hey, what the heck did you buy it for, anyway?)

James Buhler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again. BTW...What are your thoughts on the decoding quality of the 563a vs. the HK's decoder?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

well, you don't have a choice for hirez music. and for redbook (standard) cds, which dacs you use is your decision; use what you think sounds best.

for movies, i doubt you'd be able to decide which is better, even if you could discern a difference, and since your whole interest in using the player's decoding section is to get around a problem you think you have with the digi connection, it's sort of a moot question.

but if i were you, i'd be trying to figure out what may be wrong with the digi connection. i can't stand a work-around but no real resolution to a particular problem; that really irks me.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
$180 for interconnects? Heck, just get six Radio-Shack gold video cables, or three pairs of Radio-Shack gold Audio cables, or two Radioshack Component Cables. The 563 doesn't have THAT great a sound to benefit from a $180 set of interconnects.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
My local Radio Shack was discounting their component cables, so like Nick suggests above, I got two for about 50 bucks tax in (14.5% here in Lotusland). Regular price is 60 bucks plus tax for 2:
http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Prod...log=RadioShack

Run, don't walk, to the store and buy some - you will be very impressed. Might I suggest Steely Dan Gaucho in either SACD or DVD-A if their music interests you.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
or their "two against nature" or "everything must go".........or fagan's "nightfly" or "kamakiriad"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks