What's new

DTS dropouts (1 Viewer)

When listening to a DTS multichannel audio DVD, At times the song "clips". It doesn't matter the volume so its not the receiver clipping, DTS encoded video DVDs are fine so the Toslink cable is OK, SACD works fine via the six channel output (Why DTS doesn't support that I'll never figure out!) It's just DTS encoded audio discs. The "clip" itself doesn't always happen at the same place either so I have ruled out a disc problem. This is the only DTS audio DVD I have at the moment as I just ventured into Hi Rez audio.
My question is this, Is it possible that the Toslink can't handle the output, and would it be better to just switch to a digital co-ax link?
The DVD player is a Toshiba 4860 and the reciver is an Onkyo TX SR602 and the cable is from Ultra Link.
Any Suggestions?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
It's possible that there is something else more... sinister going on.

For example, my DVD-ROM drive/software can't play DTS-ES discs in the DTS mode, without dropping 'audio frames.'

It could also be that your player can't support sustained or peak data rates required by the DVD Standard. Now this is an insane issue; there's no reason why manufacturers should be skimping on this, but aparently there are a number of players that can't support high (but within spec) data transfer/decode rates. Whatever the video payload, the DTS payload makes it much higher - at least when compared to AC-3.

If you've a bitrate meter, is it high in those scenes? Or, if no bit-rate meter, is it complicated video with fast action, et cetera?

Or, worse off of all, it seems unlikely, but there's a possibility that your decoder doesn't like the data-track. Again, seems really unlikely, but there is a faint possibility that it is the case.

TOSLINK by itself should not be the issue.

Leo Kerr

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Unless your cable is bad, which it doesn't really sound like, the cable is probably not the culprit. It is most likely a player issue, as Leo mentioined. DTS CDs cannot be passed via analog because the DTS rider is encoded on a PCM stream, which is a little bit different from DTS encoding on a DVD. I would suspect the first one that Leo mentioned to be the case, since you say it is relatively random.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks