What's new

3D Blu-ray Review Dragonfly Squadron: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (2 Viewers)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
EddieLarkin said:
Something told me it'd be to do with the 3D process. Thanks for the explanation Bob.
Just to be clear, Nick.

The intermediate footage is cut into the negative because of 3-D camera rig alignment issues.

However, ANY intermediate footage used at that time exhibits the same anomalies. They are not unique to a 3-D production.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bob Furmanek said:
If you had seen this film in a theater when it was first released in 1954, those halo's would have been there.
I'm okay with that, it's when someone decides to artificially sharpen too much that it annoys, this is just how it all came together with the camera and lenses and film stocks of the time, much like Dial M For Murder or Vera Cruz, i can live with it, i look forward to more classic 3D on blu ray, i hope this one sells well and you are able to restore more titles.

GregK

Screenwriter
FoxyMulder said:
I'm okay with that, it's when someone decides to artificially sharpen too much that it annoys, this is just how it all came together with the camera and lenses and film stocks of the time, much like Dial M For Murder or Vera Cruz, i can live with it, i look forward to more classic 3D on blu ray, i hope this one sells well and you are able to restore more titles.
Having dealt with the transfer facility followed by our 3-D alignment work and then the final check discs, I can confirm there was absolutely no sharpening through the entire process. As we all know, each film is its own animal, and DRAGONFLY like many titles from this time period has its share of dupe elements.

We appreciate your support, Malcolm, as Bob is continually culling and evaluating various vintage stereoscopic elements as well as hunting down new leads. If these releases at least cover costs, a number of other exciting projects are in the wings. We have been evaluating incoming scans as well as other initial tests and rest assured, there's some VERY cool 3-D material in the pipeline.

Greg Kintz
Tech Director
3-D Film Archive

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Like all 3D Blu-ray releases from the 50s, I am going to own this. But I prefer to wait until the price comes down a few bucks (have bought so much lately), unless a site not named Amazon is selling it for $30 or less.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
bruceames said:
Like all 3D Blu-ray releases from the 50s, I am going to own this. But I prefer to wait until the price comes down a few bucks (have bought so much lately), unless a site not named Amazon is selling it for $30 or less.
Don't have a link handy, but try Family Video.I lied. Here it is: familyvideo.com. I got Dragonfly and the Bubble for $42 shipped.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Johnny Angell said:
What's the shipping charge at importcds? At FV it's $2 per order.

I think it was $1.50. But they also charged another $1.50 for handling (only applied on first item). With tax it come out to just under $25.00. I've ordered from them a few times without any problems.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Just got back from the midnight 3D presentation of Dragonfly Squadron projected on my 120" screen courtesy of my ghost free, DLP Sharp 30K.

This was the first time I had ever seen the film, and (minor print damage/speckling aside) I don't think that I would have seen a better quality, correctly synchronized 3D print in a theater had I been alive when it was first released.

I was delighted that the cast includes lots of the wonderful 50's character actors. Many of them having appeared in some of my favorite movies and TV shows of the era such as North By Northwest, Perry Mason, The Rifleman, and others too numerous to mention.

Great work Bob! Keep 'em coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks