What's new

Downton Abbey back for a 5th Season in 2015 (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Mark, we put our Christmas things up the same week as Halloween and down after the 12-days of Christmas is over.

Yes, the price jump is insane but like you I wonder if this is an omen for the end? The last seasons I was able to find them preorder on regular DVD for anything between $25-$29 but this year the cheapest I have seen so far is $39 but runs closer to $45-$49 for the same amount of shows on the same number of discs.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Eric Huffstutler said:
Yes, the price jump is insane but like you I wonder if this is an omen for the end? The last seasons I was able to find them preorder on regular DVD for anything between $25-$29 but this year the cheapest I have seen so far is $39 but runs closer to $45-$49 for the same amount of shows on the same number of discs.
I said it in the other thread but the price will drop to about what the previous sets normally go for. They just haven't dropped the price because the release is 3 months away. Once it gets closer to the date, it'll drop to a normal 30-ish% discount.

Case in point: Until last week, The Sopranos series Blu-ray (which comes out next Tuesday) has been around $250 on Amazon for months but the price is now down to $200 (and if Amazon price matches Best Buy's rumored price in next week's ad, it'll go even lower).

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Series 5 is out on Blu in the UK in November - likely to be the day after the series ends . It's currently running on Sunday nights

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
TravisR said:
I said it in the other thread but the price will drop to about what the previous sets normally go for. They just haven't dropped the price because the release is 3 months away. Once it gets closer to the date, it'll drop to a normal 30-ish% discount.

Case in point: Until last week, The Sopranos series Blu-ray (which comes out next Tuesday) has been around $250 on Amazon for months but the price is now down to $200 (and if Amazon price matches Best Buy's rumored price in next week's ad, it'll go even lower).
Thanks for the encouraging words!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've actually got season 5 making its way across the pond to me now.

Granted, I'll have to pick up the Christmas special when it's released on the 26th, but after all of the slowdown issues British shows have suffered on American DVD, I figuer I might as well pay a bit more to get the episodes early and correct.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Sam thanks for the report. Now I can watch season 5 without having to worry that the show will end in just a few episodes.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Finally started season 5. It's rather engaging so far.

Though I wish there had been a "last season on Downton Abbey" bit before the first episode. It's been months since I last watched the series, and it took most of the first episode to remember just who was doing what with or to whom.

And since it's Sunday night, PBS airs another new part of the season, don't they?

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This year I received my edited blu-rays and they are edited from the broadcast version before the Super Bowl. I never watch a blu-ray until after the episode has been broadcast. You can really catch the edits then. Well this year I cheated and watched tonight's episode on blu-ray and it is a good one.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just want to chime in to add that the image quality on the Blu-ray is soooo much better than the broadcast version. Totally worth dropping watching the rest of the season on PBS and going with the Blu-ray. It just really adds to the enjoyment and immersion of the show and characters better. My two cents.

Sure, it's a soap opera. But it's a beautifully sophisticatedly written one with precise and endearing characters, exquisite production and costume details and a comforting charm that never fails to engross those of us who would normally and cynically seem unlikely to embrace a show like this.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The Obsolete Man said:
I was a bit dismayed at hearing the DVDs were possibly cut in some way, so I went searching for an answer. And, I finally found one that made sense... because you never hear people from the UK talking about edits to the episodes, now do you?

Here's a tumblr post explaining it all

http://angel-princess-anna.tumblr.com/post/73186152709/edits-and-additional-scenes-in-the-pbs-airings-faq

Now that's a superfan. :lol:

So, bottom line, the DVDs are the "official" version, but there are a few more versions out there and scenes used vary from country to country. So until they decide to throw everything on the DVDs, it's a case of choosing which way you want to watch the episodes and that's your official version.

And personally, I don't feel so bad about the DVDs now. I know I'm not missing anything from the "official" versions of the episodes. Now, if they were to make the DVDs with special expanded episodes, like has been done with various shows in the past (Psych has done this with their DVDs, IIRC), I would be thrilled. But as long as I'm not missing anything from the original broadcast, I'm cool with it.

I just had a good friend of mine ask me to please email him this link. I thought it was lost but I did find it. What this link also states is why I watch the broadcasts of Downton and then the blu-ray.

Once again thanks Robert for the link

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Okay... Season 5 is out and shipping "except" by Target. I ordered mine late November but was told they are backordered and now have a new ship date sometime in March!

Does anyone knows what gives with this?

There is a CD bonus through Target that goes with the DVD. I hope that isn't the hold-up because they could ship the discs without the CD and then send the music when they have things sorted out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks