What's new

Down Firing vs. Front Firing + Adire DPL 12 Cutout info (1 Viewer)

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Is there any difference to the sound produced? I'm a little concerned that the carpet may absorb a little of the sound - anyone got any comments on the pros/cons? If I go for down firing, are around 90mm legs enough for the DPL12?

Also, has anyone got any info on the diameter of the Adire Audio DPL12 woofer cutout and mounting height? I need the cutout diameter, outside diameter, and depth of flange.

Thanks.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
For your first question do a search for more detailed information. Short answer is no.
However, I can't remember anyone saying the DPL12 can actually be used down firing. I ran the numbers in accord with this tech paper and came up with 6.5%.
http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_paper...rientation.htm
The rule of thumb is said to be less than 5% to be good for downfiring use. I guess your best bet is to email Dan and ask if it can be used downfiring. Unless somebody here already has and can provide us with that info.
Second question I don't have that info.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'd agree with Dustin, I think the Mms might be a little high for long-term reliability if used downfiring.

As for those dimensions, I don't remember the ones I used for mine. I think you'd be safe using those for the Titanic Mk.2 woofer from the PE site since it appears to be the identical basket.

What are you going to do with the DPL12? It's a great driver.

Travis G

Stunt Coordinator
The carpet will absorb virtually no sound at those low frequencies (unless you have carpet > 6 ft thick.)

Travis

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies, guys!
I'll mail Dan at Adire to get his advice as well - but as you say, Dustin, the DPL12 works out at 6.5% sag.
I'm using the DPL12 in a small 35 litre sealed box, equalized with Linkwitz Transform. It's being run from my DIY sub amp. (see here if you haven't already)
I've built the box, and have "veneered" it with solid Rimu (Native NZ timber) and am currently trying to finalize the driver positioning etc. I can mount it on the front, but my significant other would prefer the underside so she can admire the timber and not grill cloth (We have cats :)
Thanks for all you guys' help

Jonathan M

Second Unit
I chose the DPL12 for 2 reasons. First of all, it has similar specs to the Shiva, except for the lower Fs (And thus lower sensitivity) which means less equalization to get it flat down low in a small box. The sensitivity isn't too much of an issue, as amplification is cheap and easily upgradeable. The second reason was that it was on special (pre-order) at US$95 which made it affordable to get sent to New Zealand. Shiva was going to be around US$30 more - from either the US or from Australia.

Also, for those that want the info, I got a reply from Dan:

6.5% [sag] is a decent amount, but really not large enough to be an audible issue. There should not be any long-term effects from downfiring. We've had Shivas installed downfiring for over 4 years without a problem.

I'd recommend around 2.5 to 3" of clearance; 63 to 75mm of clearance.
Your target of 70mm should be fine.

The baffle cutout is 11 1/16" (281mm); overall basket diameter is 12 3/8" (315mm). We recommend cutting the basket recess to 12 1/2" (318mm) so that there is some space to remove the driver, if needed.
I'll let you all know when I decide on whether to go front firing etc. and when I've got more pics!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
That should be a great sub. I've used the DPL12 in dipole, vented, sealed, and IB configurations and it sounds great in each. In a larger box, the LT circuit is almost superfluous (tried it ;) )!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks