What's new

Doom - the game now into a movie ? (1 Viewer)

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Please.

I love Doom, but it's creepy. That's part of the appeal I guess, the creep and "aaah!" factor. Doom 3's final half dozen levels or so, especially, were extremely ... disturbing. Half the challenge was throttling the need to spaz out while moving through the levels and being attacked by whacked out hell-stuff.

However, who in their right mind thought they would do an effects action flick with a big budget and keep intact the heavy Hell / Satanic overtones? They might make for great background and atmosphere in a game, but for a mass market movie it's surely obvious to everyone it'd never work?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I agree but to me that doesn't justify changing the concept into something quite different. It just makes me want to ask the filmmakers why they're bothering at all? If you're a producer and you're looking at making a Doom movie, but all the HELL stuff, which is pretty much the entire game, makes you think you won't make as much money as you thought, that should be a hint to piss off and try making a movie out of something that won't make you so uncomfortable :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you are saying, but why wouldn't the "hell" aspects work?

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
I played Doom 2 back when it came out (1996 or '97). I found it to be very disturbing-- things like rooms full of corpses impaled on spears. I'm sure they won't be able to be as violent and graphic in a PG-13 movie, so will this movie still appeal to the fans of the game if it's so much tamer?

Also, I'm surprised that any studio was willing to do it after all the press the game got after the Columbine shootings.

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
Any change to the original game plot will probably only help translate it to screen. The Doom games were thin on plot to begin with, so having more characters or more of a plot will help it.
However, i also worry that they'll lose part of what made the game so appealing- which seems to happen to many videogame based movies.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
More plot is welcome but they've apparently ditched the premise of the games. At this point, Event Horizon would probably be a more accurate adaptation of Doom than what the Rock is appearing in :)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
As someone who has played the whole Doom through Doom 3:ROE, lemme say they've taken the plot (and there is one) and turned it into a very generic sci-fi looking typical Hollywood 80's action shoot-em-up. It'll be good news if plot elements from the game DO make it in there, but there doesn't look like it will be much, maybe to set up a sequel I'm thinking.

And the idea of a talking gun is perhaps the most tactically inane thing I have ever heard. Yeah, I'd love for a voice to yell out 'reload' when I'm pinned down behind cover by enemies. Of for it to let me know when 'enemies are approaching'. Now THEY know I'M approaching. Great job, gun.

It's nice to see some things, like what looks like imps and hell knights. The pinky demon at the end doesn't look too bad.

Still, I don't think the trend of VG to movie is going to be in any danger, unfortunately.

I wonder if they'll use a plot line for the newer game. In Doom 3: the character of Sargegoes crazy and has to be eliminated by your player.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That first person stuff does indeed look very kewl. As does the Pinky demon...and the ...um, chainsaw. It may be mindless blood and guts, but I'll totally be there. I think this has the chance to be what Resident Evil tried to be.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
As bad as this may turn out... I will probably see it. I'm mean come on, this game got me into first person shooters when I was like seven. So fuck yeah I'm gonna see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks