What's new

Doom 3 for xbox when?? (1 Viewer)

James T

Screenwriter
Carmack had some part in creating the Xbox so he would know the limits/capabilities of the Box. If he were to put Doom on a console, the Xbox would be the choice.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I went in 96 and have been unable to return since then.
This year was supposed to be my first to go back since 2000, but that got put off. Now I'm looking at the 2004 E3.

I can't wait to go there to enjoy it, and not just for work. :)

Glen

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I was always under the impression that the XBox was going to have console exclusivity for Doom 3 simply for the fact that the other consoles probably couldn't handle the game. This might be a bad example but look at Splinter Cell, not only were many graphical elements changed, but some of the more complex level geometry was changed as well in the porting process. Either way I'm looking forward to this one.

paul h

Supporting Actor
That comment bemused me ...

but I'd hate to see it on the PS2
Why? just because it wont be as graphically impressive on the PS2, surely a good game is a good game however it looks. Give me playability over eye candy anyday.

If MS do secure it as an XBox exclusive i cant see it shifting millions more consoles...there is far too much choice and competition now in the FPS arena.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Why? just because it wont be as graphically impressive on the PS2, surely a good game is a good game however it looks. Give me playability over eye candy anyday.
But this is the mother of FPS. The Queenbee of eye candy. That has been the strongest selling point since the developement of Doom III. Take that away and then you do have just another FPS.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Poor graphics can render a game unplayable (low framerate, reduced aiming accuracy, etc...).

-Dave

Edit: Umm, no pun intended. :)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Honestly the xbox can have it too themselves. I care more about the games that will be made with the engine down the road. Perhaps Duke Nukem will switch to it?

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
Other than the graphics engine, has there been any innovation announced for this game? Id isn't exactly known for the single-player experience. Granted, Carmack has repeatedly stated that they're wanting to shift focus, but I have a fear that this is going to end up like Unreal 2.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
God forbid I should call the Xbox's graphical capabilities into question, but is it capable of handling Doom III, as is? I thought it could only run with the nVidia GeForce 4 (or equivalent). I'd assumed an Xbox version would be slightly downgraded from the PC.

I also can't understand why people don't want games to port to other consoles (and that attitude usually doesn't extend to ports for their own favored machine). So what if the textures and shadows of Splinter Cell on PS2 are a step below what you've played on Xbox? The more people who buy a great game means more money for the developer to make more great games.

Standard disclaimer: I have all the next-gen consoles and love them all equally (well, I love the DC a little bit more). While I lean toward the Xbox for an "all platformer", last night I was perfectly happy to pick up Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 for the GC for $10. It's all good.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Allen,
I believe the GPU in the XBox is a derivitive of the NForce so I'm pretty sure it could handle Doom 3.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Poor graphics can render a game unplayable (low framerate, reduced aiming accuracy, etc...).
That, and a big part of the will most likely be it's atmosphere, especially through lighting. If the PS2 can't pull that off convincingly (which it might not be able to give the workarounds that Splinter Cell had to do) then the whole experience could be ruined.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I can't wait for this one either. Does anyone
know if Doom 3 will be Online Enabled?
Originally the game was scheduled to ship with a very primitive multiplayer mode (2-4 player deathmatch and nothing else), with a more elaborate add-on coming later in the form of either a patch or a commercial expansion pack. However, an article in the newest issue of Wired refers only to a "multiplayer expansion add-on" without discussing any out-of-the-box multiplayer options, suggesting that the game may now not ship with any multiplayer at all.

Kami

Screenwriter
God forbid I should call the Xbox's graphical capabilities into question, but is it capable of handling Doom III, as is?
Yep. Here's the quote from Carmack himself:

Attendee: Are we going to be able to mod Doom3 for the consoles?

Carmack: Okay, the console version... the only thing we're completely committed to right now is an Xbox version, and it's going to look exactly - graphics fidelity-wise - like the PC version. I would not expect you'd be able to modify Doom on the Xbox. Microsoft's just not interested in that direction. [*Audience Laughter*]

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Can anyone confirm this but I thought I read somewhere that this was just a remake of Doom except with better graphics?

paul h

Supporting Actor
I still dont see a valid argument against the game appearing on the PS2. As long as the XBox is the lead platform and the PS2 version is then ported as best as can be done from that then surely everybody is happy? Ok so the lighting may not be as good but if the gameplay remains intact, the framerate is good then why shouldnt PS2 owners get to experience the game.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I believe the GPU in the XBox is a derivitive of the NForce so I'm pretty sure it could handle Doom 3.
The X-GPU is essentially a GeFORCE 3.5, not fully a 4, but has more then a 3. They showed the game last year at QuakeCon running on what everyone thought was a Radeon 9700, but Carmack let it slip later in a private meeting that it was really Ti4600.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Regarding Paul's comment on why it shouldn't be brought to the PS2, I'll say that I'm in favor of it coming to the PS2, but the developers might not be. Ultimately if they feel they can't do the game justice on the PS2 then it's their call. Having said that, I've seen some pretty great graphics come out of the PS2 so I bet they could port the game with reasonably scaled down graphics that still maintain the atmosphere.
I can't wait to get this though. Doom in 5.1 is gonna be amazing. I remember when I was in 8th grade playing the original Doom on my eldest brother's 486 that he had brought home with him for Christmas Break from Law School. Not only did he get addicted to it, but I was amazed. I was actually frightened while playing it. Hopefully Doom 3 can recapture some of that magical terror :b

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
but is it capable of handling Doom III, as is? I thought it could only run with the nVidia GeForce 4 (or equivalent). I'd assumed an Xbox version would be slightly downgraded from the PC.
Carmack himself stated that the Xbox version will have all the graphical fidelity of the pc version.

Of course the Xbox version will have lower resolution, so I guess that could be considered the "downgrade".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks