What's new

Doom 3 on xbox (1 Viewer)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Just picked this one up today for the xbox and I must say that I am pretty darn impressed. Best graphics on xbox I have seen yet. I haven't played the pc version so I can't comment on the comparison between the two. The sound is amazing. The 5.1 surround has you completely on edge all the time. Best use of surround sound on the xbox I've heard. Hearing all the screams, groans and snarls through the rears gives this game a completely un-nerving feel. Can't tell you how many times I jumped straight off my couch scared silly, and I was playing during the day, can't wait to fire it up when the lights go down. Gameplay is pretty straight forward fps, nothing out of the ordinary, but the great graphics and 5.1 surround make this a no brainer.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I so want to try this game. I'll wait till I can find it cheap ;)

Kind of off topic... but do you know which drive your xbox has?
Any problems loading/reading the disc?

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Picked up the L.E. on a whim. Amazing looking game - played a little last night and ridiculously intense. I now understand what people have been talking about re: not being able to use the flashlight and a weapon at the same time. The L.E. has ports (faithful) of the originals. It's a riot to play a bit of Doom 1 then switch to Doom 3.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
I picked this one up last night. I only had a chance to play the first few levels but I think it's great so far. I really like the darkness and the hard to see enemies. I've already had plenty of moments where I jumped. I think they did a great job of porting the graphics too. I know the resolution doesn't match the PC version but it looks good to me. Better than Chronicles of Riddick IMO.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I was waffling on this one, but the LE content and the fact that I got it for free from Blockbuster (they had a deal where you could trade in any 4 games for a free Doom) put me over the edge. Glad that I grabbed it-definitely a fun game, and it plays MUCH better than it did when I tried it on my PC. Plus, the bigger screen and 5.1 really adds to the atmosphere of the game.

Another case where reconfiguring the buttons would have been useful though-I'd like to be able to move the flashlight from the white button to the left trigger for faster access, but you can't seem to do it. At least you can assign weapons to the D pad though (which was a great idea) and use the one button quicksave (another fantastic idea).

April is getting to be an expensive month... (Doom 3, Jade empire AND Psychonauts one after the other...)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Might only be in Canada, and I think it's actually over now. I think they ran it as a pre-order deal.

This is the second time I've seen a deal like this at Blockbuster though, and I know that EB runs promotions like this sometimes as well.

I really wonder why the extras were only included on the "collector's edition" disc though. It's not like there was even a second disc in there. It would have been just as easy to put this out there for everyone. While I like the trend of added value in packages like this, I really don't like this trend of making things limited availability.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
the game's is pretty cool but a little repetitive: i play it for only 20-30 minutes at a time. on the default setting i'd say it's not too dificult thankfully, and there's never a shortage of ammo which can be frustrating.

apparently it get's alot better towards the end.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I've rented it and played thru some levels. I'm going to try and see the how it stacks up at Live. All in all a pretty entertaining title with great 5.1 sound and neat graphics. But the story line seems old. I found myself reminiscing HalfLife..."where experiments r being done that go haywire"...then become a colonial marine on AVP2. I has the feel of the 2 but more visceral due to the better sound and I guess bigger screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks