What's new

Don Knott's films released by Universal Sept.2 - any reviews? (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Universal has, as most of you undoubtedly know, scheduled the release of five Don Knotts films. The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, How To Frame A Figg, The Love God?, The Reluctant Astronaut, and The Shakiest Gun In The West. I am grateful that Universal has decided to finally make them available and in their proper OAR. My previous experience, at least up here in Vancouver, B.C. is that Universal titles are difficult to come by and when they are available it is in very limited qauntities. Usually I end up special ordering a few. I have noticed in other posts that Universal is not a consumer friendly studio in certain areas and their distribution of many titles appears to be one of them. Has anyone else run into this problem as well? It is nice to see Mr. Knotts finally receive some recognition as he has been sorely missed on dvd and is a great comedian in his own right.Hopefully we will see some reviews soon!!

:) :) :)

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator
did ANYONE find these titles, especially Ghost and Mr Chicken in any B&M stores yesterday?? i went to a Best Buy, a Circuit City and a local store and nothing, and i called another BB and another CC and nothing. even the websites dont seem to have them in stock ready to go, BB is 5-7 days and CC is backordered, i only see dvdempire.com with it listed as in stock.

is this just how it is with Universal catalog titles or were they delayed? id love to know if anyone found them today, thanks.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
They pushed them right up to street date. I typically receive review copies of Universal DVDs (final product) a week or two before release date, delivered by UPS standard service. I just got the Sept. 2 releases, including all of the Don Knotts titles, this morning by UPS express service. They'll filter into stores over the course of this week probably.

Page

Stunt Coordinator
I received my set from DeepDiscountDVD on Monday and watched "The Reluctant Astronaut" last night. Beautiful transfer--vibrant colors and pin sharp. The soundtrack is in the original mono and it sounds fine. No extras to speak of (and no insert if you were wondering.)

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
I recieved my copy of The Ghost and Mr. Chicken yesterday from Deep Discount Dvd.
Looks fine, i have Dvds that look better but for a film that is 37 years old it looks and sounds pretty good.
The only extra on it is the original trailer.
It is good to finally see this movie in the widescreen format and i look forward to getting the other four films eventually.

Davey M.

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
In the Seattle area, I saw all five of these DVDs in a Fred Meyer store for about $10 each.

perrin

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Which Fred Meyer?

I can't wait to get The Ghost and Mr. Chicken. At the age of 39.7 I have seen this movie over 100 times. They used to play it in Olympia every year when I was a kid after the "Pet Parade" a hokey event where kids would dress up and walk through downtown with their pets. Whenever it's on TV I will watch at least part of it.

Ataboy Luther!

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Don Knott's attempt at a speech, stilted cliches and all, in GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN has got to be one of the most hilarious things ever committed to film.

:D

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
If you want the Don Knotts DVD, I saw them at the Fred Meyer in the Broadway Market on Capitol Hill. I am sure most of the Fred Meyers would have the same stock.

perrin

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
Usually I end up special ordering a few.
You might want to try doing what I do, which is order them from Deep Discount DVD and have them shipped to a parcel pickup counter in Blaine ($US 2 fee per shipment).

Most of the titles I buy are unavailable in Vancouver except by special order, which involves delays and tends to be more costly. Deep Discount almost always has them.

RD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks