What's new

Dolby Atmos install Question (1 Viewer)

Diverdan

Auditioning
Real Name
John Dantin
Greetings all,
I am looking to upgrade my 5.1 system to 5.1.2 with Dolby Atmos. I currently have a Denon AVR-X2400H driving a Bose Acoustimass 10 5.1 set of speakers.
My Question:
All of the speakers are mounted high on the wall (about 6.5 feet up) except the center channel which is lower near the TV. I am trying to figure out the best placement of the 2 Atmos speaker to get the best effect. At this time, I am limited by not being able to do a ceiling mount for them or moving the existing speakers.

What I’ve come up with so far is either just getting some upward firing add-on speaker or possibly get a new pair of front channel speakers placed on stands and have the two Bose (high mounted) speakers that were formerly the front channel R&L be the Atmos speakers. Which would likely be the better option or is there another one I haven’t thought of yet?

Thanks!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Welcome to HTF John. My opinion: You probably aren't going to get much bang for your buck here. Atmos bounce is a subtle effect to begin with. If your mains are already mounted as heights it's all gonna mix in together. Can you lower your mains?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree. The height of your current front speakers is too high, but not high enough for Atmos, so you need to consider some more significant changes, or just leave it how it is. Your L&R speakers shouldn't be so much higher than the center. How high is the ceiling?

Last edited:

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Gonna post some suggestions from Dolby and just want to tell you in the latest Widescreen Review they have been slamming the studios for horrible Atmos mastering. I only have 4 movies in Atmos and very not impressed so far. Tarzan gave me the most enveloping experience.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technol...tmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf
Hope this helps but like John said lower the front speakers and try to get the same height for front L R and rear L R and center channel, preferably ear level when seated. Being on the same plane or level helps fool the brain and helps give an illusion of continuity. Helps to blur the source.

Diverdan

Auditioning
Real Name
John Dantin
Thanks, all! The takeaway I’m getting is it’s not worth adding the speakers unless there’s a redesign of the system, something that would well down the list on house projects at the moment.

I was looking for an inexpensive way to enhance the system, since my head unit supports 5.1.2.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Can you get new speakers for mains, and switch wires, making in ceiling speakers Atmos and new speakers wall mount or floor standers???

Diverdan

Auditioning
Real Name
John Dantin
Can you get new speakers for mains, and switch wires, making in ceiling speakers Atmos and new speakers wall mount or floor standers???

This was an initial thought I had, and seems to be easily doable. My concern would be that I wouldn’t be getting significantly better sound as the Atmos speakers would be directly above the front channel speakers, not above the listeners.

If anyone can clarify/confirm this, I would appreciate it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You misread what he meant. He's suggesting lowering your front L&R to stands or floor speakers, and rewiring so you have your Atmos speakers in-ceiling.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
That is correct John. He is trying to follow the Dolby guide that says the ceiling speakers should be closer to the seating not right above the front mains. I would suggest new installment of ceiling speakers to correct location and definately lower mains to match center height like you already suggested. Cheapest and best way to go. It would be worth small investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks