What's new

Dolby 5.1 Dropouts on Pearl Harbor (1 Viewer)

WayneF

Auditioning
I was watching my new Pearl Harbor DVD the other night and had some very audible soundtrack dropouts during the attack launch sequence. I have two dvd players, a Sony DVP-NS900V and a Toshiba SD-9200 so I tried it on both. The dropouts occurred at the same location. I also turned the volume way down thinking that it could be the amplifier going into protection mode. I then switched to the DTS soundtrack and it was fine on both dvd players. Is this a software issue? I have not had any other dvd do this at all.

Patrick Lisabelle

Auditioning
Same thing here. I have a prologic2 reciever (kenwood vr-510) and the 2 dd5.1 tracks (english and french) have drop outs. The dts and dolby headphones are ok.

My reciever writes something like: dialnorm +4 and freezes there.

I tried 3 different dvd players and 3 copies of the film, same results.

Ed O

Agent
Are there multiple dropouts or only one? If you can, please provide the times at which it/they occur. I'm sure other owners of the disc will be glad to check their copies for similar problems and post the results here.

Dan M

Second Unit
I have a Panasonic RP91 and the DD 5.1 track was full of drop outs throughout the movie.
THe dts played fine.
I've never had any trouble with any disc before until now
:frowning:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'm using a Pioneer DVD 414 with the Pioneer Elite THX VSX-26 reciever and the Dolby Digital 5.1 is great with no dropouts. On my particular rig, the DD track is better than the dts track.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Hehe now it is a proven fact. The DTS track is indeed superior on PH. But I thought the codec had nothing to do with it.
Kevin C. :)

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Quote :

'My receiver writes something like : dialnorm +4 and freezes there'

When you play the Dolby Digital recorded source the above

message indicates how far the source volume level is at above or below reference volume level.The only way is to lower the master volume control by 4db so that you can here the soucre at reference volume level.

My Onkyo 676 & Pioneer 525 is a flawless combination. When

ever I play the DD LD of SPR and now PH DVD the above

message appear.The freeze is there for about 3 seconds but

there are no drop-outs at all. Any way I never lower the

master volume control, I just let them rip away !

I had "dropouts" as well, but they were actually on the DTS track...Here are my findings:

I had a feature called RE-EQ (re-Equalization) on our Onkyo Receiver activated. This feature takes "the brightness"

out of DTS/Dolby recordings to compensate for not being in an actual theater. This feature was the culprit.

Richard Bell

Auditioning
Kevin Simon,

I am just checking what you said about re-eq. I have the onkyo 595 and you CANNOT use re-eq with a DTS soundtrack, only DD.

Eric Crawford

Auditioning
Here's your answer. This is from Onkyo's website:

During a recent software testing session in our labs we have encountered a problem with several newly released DVDs that we want to make you aware of. Specifically we have experienced problems with Jurassic Park 3 and Pearl Harbor. The problem in question is related to audio dropouts at various points throughout both movies when playing the Dolby Digital soundtrack. After conducting a thorough investigation into this issue we have identified what we believe to be the cause of the problem and would like to make you aware of our findings and a recommended solution.

· Our testing shows the audio dropout problem to be isolated to the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. The DTS 5.1 soundtrack plays back without exhibiting any problems. Therefore we strongly recommend that you switch to the DTS soundtrack when available to realize the full potential of your equipment and the home theater experience. Likewise you can also play back the disc using Dolby ProLogic or ProLogic II without any problems. You can select these alternative audio options from the DVD’s software menu, which frequently load automatically after playback begins. Typically the additional audio tracks can be found in the opening menu under “Audio” or “Languages”, but may vary slightly from disc to disc. If you have questions regarding your specific equipment please contact our Customer Support Department.

· Although we have only been able to verify the problem with Jurassic Park 3 and Pearl Harbor, we have been informed by Dolby Laboratories that other soon to be released DVDs may exhibit a similar problem. Unfortunately we do not know of any specific titles at this time. However we will update our web site as more information becomes available.

· We have been able to verify that the problem exists on the majority of our new receiver line. We are currently testing other models and will post the results in the near future. We understand that other equipment manufacturers are experiencing similar problems.

· Based on our exhaustive testing and after consulting with Dolby Laboratories it is our opinion that the problem is related to the audio encoding software that was used to master the DVDs in question and that the problem is ultimately a software problem. Dolby Laboratories, the movie studios in question, Onkyo, and other manufacturers are working together to prevent a similar problem from recurring.

Thank you for your understanding and patience regarding this matter. We will keep you updated as we gain further information.

Richard- Yes, I have the same ONKYO. I can turn on RE-EQ and still feed a DTS Signal to it via an optical cable from the Sony DVD Player. I believe the ONKYO display showed DTS, so I assume it received the signal. Whether or not it interprets it correctly, and based on the problem at hand I doubt it does, is another question.

As I am work I can not confirm that DTS was in the display, but I will tonight and post again.

Richard Bell

Auditioning
Boy, that sucks. I like the DTS track, but often I prefer to use the DD so I can us elate night mode and re-eq. I haven't tried Pearl Harbor since I got my 595, guess I'll try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.