What's new

Does this exist? (1 Viewer)

Jack.Straw

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
Hey audio freaks, can you help me out with some advice? I have a 100 gig external hard drive that contains all my music in MP3 format. I would like to find an audio component that would allow me to connect the drive via USB and play the music. The drive is formatted in NTFS format.

It can be a stand-alone device, an audio component, or even a portable 'boom-box'. It would have to have some sort of LCD display for selecting songs and playlists. Also, price is an issue... i can't afford a large bill item, especially since it doesn't need any storage of its own.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't like iCrap, so please... no apple components. Thanks in advance!

-Jack

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
You may want to consider the Yamaha RX-N600 receiver ($400). I should note that this receiver is capable of playing music via USB on FAT16/FAT32 partitions, but not NTFS, so you may need to reformat. I'm not aware of any devices that can play music via USB from an NTFS filesystem.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I use a D-Link DSM-510 router/media player to play MP3's from my home PC (located on 2nd floor) on my Home Theater system (located in the basement).

I really cheap laptop could also be your solution (PII would be more than enough to play mp3's).

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator
look at an XBox 360 as you can plug this directly into it and use your tv as your screen, also it's more cost effective than buying a new receiver.

Bill

Jack.Straw

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
Thanks for the responses!

I do have a network... wireless. It wold be awesome to have something that would connect to the drive via the network but still be easy enough for friends and guests to play music on. I would (and do) just use my laptop for personal use, but I want something that everyone that comes over can easily use.

Phil McC

Grip
It certainly does!

Try the Roku M1000.

http://www.rokulabs.com/

Comes with a wireless card and has the digital readout you are after. Works with most music lists including iTunes.

Priced the M1000 in Best Buy yesterday @ $199.

The M1001 is available on line at above link for $149 but have not had chance to check out the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks