What's new

Does an XBox controller extension exist? (1 Viewer)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Title says it all. While the cord is pretty long, it doesn't quite cut it for my setup. I've looked everywhere and had no luck finding one. Does it even exist?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the same boat. As far as I know, the answer is no. There _may_ be some released Q2 this year (I've seen reference online for a release from Mad Catz possibly). However, most people seem to be hoping for wireless controllers. Mad Catz is definitely set to release one, and I thought that there was talk that MS would be releasing a version. I think the wireless ones are scheduled for May or so.

The reason I've seen for the lack of them is due to the fact that controls run on a modified USB interface. USB 1.x spec is 5m; the controllers already extend about 3m currently. The concern over length is what I've seen cited for the overall lack of 3rd party extensions...

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Answer from XBox is no, and no known plans for them that they told me (via email support anyway). The solution? Wireless controllers are supposed to be available for the XBox in the late-Spring timeframe.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
But don't wireless controllers use the 900MhZ technology that created a lag in your button mashing versus actuall on-screen response? I haven't seen or heard of a good cordless controller yet.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Given that one of the features MS toutes about the Xbox is the long controller cable I suspect we would have to rely on a third party to offer this. I'm interested in hearing more about the wireless solutions mentioned above. Rob echoed my initial concern regarding potential transmission delays. That would be extraordinarily frustrating (and a deal breaker).

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
May, 2002
http://www.madcatz.com/MadCatz/produ...roduct_id=4556
COMING SOON: May 2002
900Mhz Wireless Premium Controller ::
You can perform your victory dance up to 40 feet from your Xbox. The Mad Catz 900 MHz Wireless Premium Control Pad unplugs you from the console even as it gives you all the superior control you demand. Features include rubberized grips to reduce fatigue and improve handling, dual analog joysticks, fully analog pressure-sensitive action buttons and D-pad, macro programmability for complex moves and intense vibration capability that lets you feel the action. Eight discreet communication channels mean you can't be blocked; a charging dock stores the controller and recharges your batteries at the same time.
MSRP:: $59.99
Features:
900Mhz controller with 8 discreet communication channels
Built in recharge battery with docking/recharge station.
Fully analog: 6 analog buttons, 2 analog triggers.
Intense vibration feedback
Advanced macro function

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
The Mad Catz controller sounds cool... but I always worry about third party peripherals and their performance. Again, I've been warned of delay using wireless controllers. Why can't they just sell a 3 or 6 foot jumper for $8?? I don't want a $60 controller.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
900Mhz, does that mean we'll be able to play from a different room of the house? How's that for a handicap!

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks