What's new

do you think buying cartoons wst of money? (1 Viewer)

heathjack

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Heath
Doyou think buying Cartoons a wast of money?

i don't think their a WastE. but my mom said that its not like tv show were kidsgrown up. i do own severl cartoons. i want to get x-mEN CARTOONIN SEPTEMBER AND NINJA TURTLES CARTOON. DO YOU THINK ITS WAST OF MONEY TO BUY CARTOONS? THEY RELLY DON'T GO ANY WERER LIKE FAMILY TIES TV SHOW OR HOME INPROVMENT I WANT TO SAVE MY CARTOONS IF ONE DAY I HAVE KIDS. I WOULND'T LET THEM WATCH JUNK ON CARTOON NETWORK OR Sponge Bob SQUA PANTS.

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
I'm with TravisR - if you enjoy the show, the genre doesn't matter.

My only advice would be to rent first if you're revisiting a cartoon show you enjoyed as a kid. For me, some hold up (Batman: The Animated Series, for example), and some simply don't play the same way to an older viewer.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
For me, animation TV/DVD has been more of a risk-buy than other TV/DVD sets. It's a little more tricky for me to guess if a cartoon release will hold up over time. I've been lucky so far as I can only think of a couple of cartoon sets where they didn't hold up as well over time for me.

I don't buy much animation but these the ones that I enjoy as much as years ago:

Flintstones
Jonny Quest (orig) - this one really held up for me. I guess it's because it was one of my fanatic favorites as a kid on Sat mornings.
Looney Tunes sets

The ones that didn't hold up as well:

Space Ghost (orig): I didn't like the "Dino Boy" part of this show but the Space Ghost part is ok.
Yogi Bear - I may rethink this one since I haven't watched any in a long time but the initial impression of a few didn't seem to hold up as well for me.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well a few years ago I took a chance on an old childhood favorite ("He-Man & The Masters of the Universe). I bought all 4 sets thinking how great it would be to relive some fond memories. I came home, popped the first disc from the first set into the player, curled up on my couch........and I was fast asleep before the end credits of the first episode. lol. I'm glad I HAVE the sets because I am a nostalgic at heart, but it just goes to show that what you may have loved as a kid doesn't always stand the test of time as you get older.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Buying cartoons on DVD is not a waste of money to me. The Looney Tunes Golden Collection releases have been spectacular. The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Jonny Quest, Top Cat, and others have all been great, too. All of these kinds of releases is just another facet of what is great about TV on DVD. It also means that some of this older material has been saved from rotting away in a storage room somewhere and being completely lost.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Cartoons have a very large nostalgic factor and, if you choose wisely, can be as welcome as your favorite comfort food! Like others, I have several that I grew up on/with and feel have held up very well over the years:

Jonny Quest (original, but from it's original prime time run on, this has *always* been my favorite animated program.)
Space Ghost (a bit cheesy, but still fun and I even like the Dino Boy shorts)
Looney Tunes
Tom and Jerry
The Jetsons (original series)
The Flintstones (especially the first 2 seasons)
Rocky and Bullwinkle (possibly better now because I actually *get* the puns)
George of the Jungle (original only, please)

BUT... some I purchased out of nostalgia and really don't care for them much. However, in all fairness, I should say that I really didn't care for them that much when they originally aired and mainly watched them waiting for the shows I really wanted to watch. "Yogi Bear" and "Huckleberry Hound" fall into that category. I really want to pick up "Space Angel" but I'm afraid that it will suffer greatly over my very vague memories of it, especially knowing how it is "animated".

I also have some recent animated titles that I greatly enjoy:

Family Guy
King of the Hill
Futurama (which is going back into production... I'm not sure how I feel about that yet)

And there are a couple that I watch occasionally but haven't purchased... yet...

Batman - The Animated Series
Justice League Unlimited

I wish I could have had these on DVD when my kids were little, although they *did* have *some* good stuff on then with even the worst product better than most of what makes it to air today. My son loves the original "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" and "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", my daughter still loves "The Smurfs", and I enjoy "The New Adventures of Flash Gordon" from that era (mainly the first season).

I'm happy to say that my grandson likes *most* of the titles I've mentioned, especially "He-Man", "Ninja Turtles", "Space Ghost", "Justice League Unlimited", "Looney Tunes", and "Tom and Jerry". He doesn't care much for "Huckleberry Hound" or "Yogi Bear" and he's still too young for "Jonny Quest" and the more adult toons but there's hope...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

So... waste of money? Absolutely not!

heathjack

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Heath
I plan on buying X-Men cartoon in spetember. i been watching it a lot. i aso brought doug off amazon i recommed checking it out.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I don't really understand the question. Why do you need someone else to tell you whether you should buy a show or not ? If you want it, get it.

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonas

Absolutely not, if you like it buy it, I've watched and still like a bunch of cartoons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks