What's new

DO you ever go CRAZY trying to make a decision? (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I know I'm (hopefully) not the only one who just about drives themselves crazy trying to decide on a piece of audio gear.

I'm in the market for a new home theater setup. First off, I think the Denon 3802 is all I'd ever need. Well, then the H/K 520 pops up as being a nice receiver, too. Then the new Sony ES's come out with two 5.1 inputs for both DVD-A and SACD which would be really cool. Then the new Pioneer Eites come out with new receivers. I also just saw that someone bought a HK AVR8000 on Ubid for $1200. The latest delima is that the wife just approved a new HDTV, so I'd like something with a lot of component in's like the Denon 4802. But then, for that price, you can get a Outlaw 950 or Rotel 1066 with a small amp. You see what I mean? My latest thing is trying to decide between the 950 and the 1066.

How do you all deal with this? I guess it helps to set a price point, but there's always something better that has what you want. I do know I can't go for anything like the Denon 5803 or the Pioneer 49TX, but man....there's just too many choices and I spend too much time on the internet researching.

HELP?!??!

Aaron

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Is there a doctor in the house? Is it possible to get upgraditis, when starting with nothing?

Aaron

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Aaron:
I'm with ya. Should have seen what I went thru with the Onkyo 595, HK 520 and finally, hopefully, the Pio 45Tx.
My brain has looked at these forums , went to High end shops, cheap shops etc. Listening.......
Driving myself nuts.....
Finally said I have $1000 to spend. I luved the HK so much - it was so hard to turn it in after 30 days.
Then I found the Pioneer and I luv it too.
So you have to pick a price point with the features your willing to accept and purchase and forget. The Hk, Denon, Onkyo pioneer and probably ones I don't like - like the Yammy and the Sony, and probably others will serve us well. You just finally have to pick 'cause there will always be something better.
Now my next tru test - picking out speakers. Enny Meany Minny Moe see I can't even spell any more......:)
Good Luck!
Mike

Geno

Supporting Actor
actually i just read that someone here is upgrading from an HK 8000, ill do some searching and post the thread. have you considered used?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
There's a used HK PA5800 5 channel amp in the for sale area...buy that then buy a Rotel 1066 and then stop looking at other models problem solved:)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Andrew, to be honest with ya, I am probably leaning towards the 1066 route, but I'm very concerned about how the 1066 users are handling their high-def signals. I posted in the 1066 thread and haven't heard back yet.

On a side note, can anyone say that the 1066 is twice as good as a preamp as the HK520 and/or Sony 4ES? One side of me says, go for the 1066, its awesome and upgradable, and you can always get a nicer amp down the road (cause I'm going to have to go with a cheaper amp with teh 1066 in the beginning). The other side says just stick with a nice, sub-$1000 receiver and get a nice 3 or 5 channel amp later.

DAMN these decisions!

Aaron

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Aaron its impossible to say if the 1066 is twice as good as a receiver like the HK because value is relative. Will it sound better? IMO yes...much better but then its been awhile since I've had a HK receiver in my rack so the new models might be a little better but IMO they'd still sound like a HK which isn't a bad thing just the Rotel IMO sounds better. Anyway we're getting off track here:)
Do I get worked up over choices? Yes and no...I guess it depends on what it is but I generally don't keep gear that long so as long as I don't spend more then what its worth then I don't see the risk being that high since I can usually sell it off again at little loss later on.
PS I still think the 1055 is a fantastic way to jump into seperates one step at a time...I honenstly can't hear the difference between the 1066 and 1055 when used as pre amps.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Wow..this 1055 looks really cool. Thanks for the recomendation. I've probably said this before, and I still have more reading to do, but THIS MAY BE THE ONE!
Andrew, any chance you have a digital camera and could snap a few pics of this?
Aaron
[email protected]

Geno

Supporting Actor
Aaron, why not let your wife decide? put all the pressure on her. tell her to bring her favorite cd along and use it to demo. Now of course if you think shes made a bad decision, then you can make up something and say "that wont work because, the THD ratio to the S/N ration is greater than.........",etc.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I will probably end up bringing several receivers home and definitely mess around with them for a while. I would normally agree on you with the wife thing, but as I've just recently learned, she may end up costing me MORE money.
I FINALLY got her to go into the local stereo shop (she hates stereo stuff). I wanted to show her the $2000 Sony TV I wanted. She ended up liking the $7000 Pioneer Elite TV. I actually had to talk her out of that one. Amazing how things work sometimes..... :)
Aaron

Geno

Supporting Actor
Damn boy, why'd you deny the Pioneer elite?
well I mean I know why, Im just breakin your balls.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I just sold my digi camera since I wasn't happy with it. As for the 1055's looks imagine a 1066 only slightly taller to allow for the tuner buttons. If you like the 1066's looks you'll love the 1055 also.

PS the 1055 is priced at least $200 cheaper then the 1066 as well which makes it a steal IMO

Tim Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
aaron,
think we can share a room at this asylum right now. i'm in same quandary. i almost said screw it and bought a tube preamp today instead! still might. see how nuts i am?
at the moment, i have a 520 and an rp82 in one cart, a 4es in another, and several older flagship receivers or the preamp on hold.
think andrew's right - close your eyes and jump in :)

DanaA

Screenwriter
Originally, I had a long post here about the tons of money I've poured into HT this last year. I've deleted that to say that it's one Hell of a great hobby and I'm enjoying it like a kid in a toy store. I was supposed to get my new Rotel 1066 this week, but they accidentally shipped the wrong color (I want silver). All that money just seems justified when I pop in that DVD or CD and kick back in my own little shangri-la.

JackS

Supporting Actor
C'mon guys, none of this stuff your talking about is junk. Weather it's your opinion of superior sound, a one "must have" feature or a combination of features anything you choose will be the right choice for you. After you aquire your new aquisition, live and beleive to the deepest part of your soul that what you have is everything you ever hoped for considering the money spent. You can now live and enjoy your purchase without the proverbial look back syndrome wishing that you had bought something else. These are words to live by and a mindset that can be applied over a lifetime. Pay little attention to the nay-sayers because you have not spent your money on what they have spent their money for. Your opinion and your needs may not be the same as their opinion and their needs .I know this sounds like a sermon but we only live once ,so we may as well make it as pleasent as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks