Do you ever become obsessed with famous dead people?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Gary->dee, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Every once in a while I find out about a famous person, usually an actor, that died and I momentarily become obsessed with them. So I find out about them, read their biogaphies, how they died and so on. I usually find some kind of common ground on which I can relate to the person, whether it's where they lived, died, went to school or so on. I'm not really sure why but I think it's interesting and somehow important not to forget about some of these people. The common factor is that the dead actors I'm often interested in are female and had died at a relatively young age.
    Around a year ago or so I became obsessed with http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0427490/
    She was born in 1958 and died in 1976 from a drug overdose. The common factor for me with Anissa was that she lived not too far from where I grew up in L.A. She also attended the same junior high school I did and the same high school my sister did, although many years earlier. Regardless of the differing time periods, I was touched by her life and death, so I became obsessed with Anissa Jones.
    Just recently I became aware of an actress named http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0828447/
    The thing that initiated my obsession with Inger was after watching a movie on TCM(1968's "Madigan")they mentioned that she had died in 1970, the year I was born. The other things that interested me about Inger were that she was born in Stockholm, Sweden- a place I'm planning on moving to in the Spring. She died of a self-inflicted drug overdose/suicide in L.A. and apparently she had attempted suicide before. According to IMDB she also jumped from a crashing airplane before it blew up. When I heard that she died in 1970 I thought wow wouldn't it be a trip if she died in April, the month I was born. Sure enough I found out she died in April 1970, although on the 30th and not the 22nd when I was born.
    Another thing that drew me to Inger was that I had seen her in a few movies or perhaps a TV show and I thought she was still alive. So when I discovered she had died so long ago I was kind of surprised and I had to look into it.
    Anyone else have any famous dead obsessions?

2. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Um. No.

But I get topic obsessed, then move on. And I get obsessed by alive people, then move on.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

4. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

You don't think anything can be gained from knowing about dead people, Ron? Granted their lives might not have been historically significant, I seem to find a few points of interest in their lives that relate to me.
    Guess it's just me. Nevermind! [​IMG]

5. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Interesting that you mentioned Anissa Jones. She died about 2 miles from where I lived in Oceanside.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I get obsessed with Silica everytime I see that thread reappear on After Hours!

I see dead silica.

Jay

7. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I've mentioned in other threads how intrigued I am by the overdose death of What's My Line panelist, Dorothy Kilgallen. I wouldn't say obsessed, but I find it interesting when celebs meet untimely ends. I think it revolves around the fact that they leave so much concrete proof of their lives in semi-permanent medium that they often live on many, many years after their deaths.

8. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    Mark me down in the "NO" column.

Too many other important things in life to worry about than some dead drug addict.

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Gary, do you SEE dead people? [​IMG]

10. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I got kind of obsessed with Audrey Hepburn after her death. Read a couple biographies, started watching all of her movies, buying photo books. She's definitely a favorite still, as evidence by the Breakfast At Tiffany's poster on the wall, but things have calmed down. No one else has drawn my attention like that though. A close one was Tippi Hedren, but she's still alive [​IMG]

11. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Well, look at all the people who still make candlelight vigils at Graceland 25+ years after Elvis died. And I recall reading that there's even a "Church of Elvis" - now THAT'S obsessive.

12. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    yeah it is strange, i go to the museum and stare at this lady's image all day. anyone know who she is?
    [​IMG]
    CJ

13. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan

14. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Something like a celebrity seems so pointless to me since most seem so superfiscial and it seems they usually die of self inflicted gunshot wounds, drug overdoses, or car wrecks driving recklessly thus also being usually the direct opposite of what they portray on screen. I look upon those that changed the world good or ill, historical figures do this obsession for me and luckily I can get a fix by surfing, history channel, or a good book. The thing I don't understand are those who stalk celebrities and would rather see more people idolizing their dead stars than forcing the retirement of some who can't stand up to the stalking.

15. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

16. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

17. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

18. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I tend to read the obits every day and I am amazed by some of the strange wonderful lives. Everyone once in a while I will look up more on a person.

Curious if you found anything on Anissa Jones and why she wanted to kill herself.

19. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

After "Family Affair" ended she experienced the typical has-been child actor syndrome and got really depressed and into drugs; very sad indeed.

20. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I guess some people want to control how they die or at least, when faced with the very real possibility of dying they essentially choose to live because maybe they feel it isn't the time. That's the way things work out sometimes. When you least expect it, it happens and "it" might be either positive or negative. That old saying "expect the unexpected" can manifest itself in the strangest of ways at any time. Likewise the saying "be careful what you wish for".