What's new

Do you agree or disagree with this LCD vs. DLP article? (1 Viewer)

Adam_R

Second Unit
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv.html

It seems to favor LCD.

Here's my situation:

I have an older Sony 57" widescreen HDTV, CRT based.

It's had problems. It's the infamous "flicker" model.

Circuit City is replacing it now that it's going on it's 3rd set of CRTs.

I am pretty sure they are going to offer me a DLP or LCD replacement since they don't even carry any CRT's that are 57" anymore. Either way, I can pay a bit to upgrade too.

I am trying to decide on LCD or DLP.

I spend most of my HD time now with my XBox 360. :)

Thanks for your input!

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
It's kind of a dumb article because they seem to be comparing a 22" LCD flat panel to a 50" DLP RPTV. A more useful comparison would be to roughly equal DLP and LCD RPTVs. It's like they never heard of rear projection LCD TV.

:confused:

Adam_R

Second Unit
thanks

please feel free to post your opinion on the matter as well, since I will be maknig this choice soon and I value HTF users input.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I agree with Paul, He compares a 22" LCD with a 50" DLP then he states that 40 inches is the largest LCD display. The guys has no credibility IMHO.

Adam_R

Second Unit
ok, thanks again

anyone want to weigh in on dlp vs lcd?

point me to a good, credible article?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Regardless of my opinions on the matter, that article is pretty ignorant technically. I would disregard it in its entirety.

Adam_R

Second Unit
thanks guys

i ended up going DLP

one of those new Samsung 1080p models (drooling)

Dave>h

Second Unit
Don't forget to give us your impressions on the Samsung!

Enquiring minds want to know.

What size did you get? Do you have anything the outputs 1080p? Is there anything yet? Maybe Blu Ray will be the first opportunity.

I have a 61" Samsung DLP but it is the older 1080i version - just over 2 years old now. Think it is a great TV and I have really enjoyed it.

But with HD coming, I may consider an upgrade in the not so distant future, especially if 1080p is significantly better than 1080i - although I am not sure if that is truly the case.

Anyway, keep us posted. And remember, you will need to calibrate the DLP - I used AVIA - in order to get the most out of it.

Dave

Adam_R

Second Unit
I will get the TV in about 10 days, but I have no 1080p input yet. I do have an Xbox 360, but that's my only HD input so far.

I just got back from Walmart where they had a HD DVD player for about $500 and one movie. I looked at the back and it said 1080p video. I am finding it hard to resist the temptation.

I will report back after I get the TV, calibrate it and spend a few hours.

BTW - I saw the 61" DLP (720p model) in the showroom and it looked VERY nice. They also had the 50" 1080p model that I am getting on display and it too loked amazing. It's hard to really tell in showroom though becasue the content is usually crap and the TV's are on torch mode.

Adam

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
The HD DVD players available now (and apparently for the next few months) are limited to 720p/1080i output, since it's basically one model with the exact same video hardware in three different boxes. I'm pretty sure every announced Blu-ray player coming out in the next few months will output 1080p.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
yes, but with 1080i output that does not mean you cannot have full reconstruction(reverse telecine) of native 1080p content. People often forget this.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but what displays actually do this effectively? I've heard this argument a lot, but I've never really seen someone point out an actual product that does this right.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I believe high-end displays do this properly, as well as high-end scalers. I'm pretty sure the Ruby et.al. do this properly.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

To see that 54 Models List, ... Click HERE!

They also re-tested the HT Mag FEB 2006 - 1080p Face Off HDTVs and the only display that didn't pass was the Mitsubishi WD-52628.

The other 1080p HDTVs are ... listed by Model / Overall Score ...

1) Sony KDS-R50XBR1 / 92
2) Toshiba 62HM195 / 91
2) JVC HD56FH96 / 91
3) Samsung HL-R5668W / 90
4) Mitsubishi MD-52628 / 89
5) HP MD6580n / 88

Phil

Adam_R

Second Unit

Well, the only Samsung 1080p set tested passed, so I hope the new Samsung 1080p sets are using the same type technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks