What's new

DIY Cables: Analog vs Digital Interconnect Construction (1 Viewer)

Jon_Boehm

Auditioning
Ok, I'm confused. I've read every DIY cable post on this list at least twice and had my purchase order all ready when I realized that Analog and Digital Interconnects where different.
Here is what I was planning on getting:
Belden 1694A
Canare RCAP-C53
Caig Pro Gold 5% spray
100% cotton pipe cleaners
Wonder Solder -- I prefer soldering to crimping
From what I understand this will make a great 75Ohm Digital or video cable, but what about a 50Ohm audio cable? I'm thinking I just need to substitute the Canare RCAP-C53 for a Canare F-10 and I will have a 50Ohm-terminated cable. Is this correct? Will the Canare F-10 work with the Belden 1694A?
http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/DIYCable.htm
This page seems to be suggesting Canare L-5CFB RG6 and Canare RCAP-C5F for and audio cable. This will be a 75Ohm digital or video cable. Is this an error?
Thanks,
Jon
PS. My first cable project is for car head unit to amp interconnects.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Hey Jon and Welcome to DIY,

The cable you are using is a 75ohm coax. Changing the connectors wont change that. Fortunately, you can use digital interconnects with analog equipment but shouldnt use analaog interconnects for digital. Unforunately, the RCAP-C53's are crimp type connectors. You may be able to get away with soldering the center pin, but the outer braid has to be crimpped. IMHO (and many others) the crimp connection will give better performance than soldering. Proper crimping dies are a necessity.

The RCAP's are a true 75 ohm connector where as others may or may not retain the same impedence. The F10's on the other hand do need to be soldered. If your looking for a little more flexibility (the 1694 is a solid core) Belden's 89259 is a good performer for analog plus it has a stranded core.(flexibility)

Hope this helps,

Bill

Jon_Boehm

Auditioning
From the Newark catalog I found that the 89259 is a 75 Ohm coax also. So no matter if I get the 89259 or the 1694 I will be making a 75-Ohm cable.

Therefore the main differences are:

1) Stiffness: 89259 will be easier to route with is stranded core. I'm concerned that the 1694 will be hard to work with especially in car audio

2) Dielectric: the 89259 has a better audio dielectric but I don't think I will be able to tell with my C grade equipment. (Denon 3300, Sony Wega non-XBR, Pioneer DVD, Paradigm Monitor 9s)

So, I'm thinking either one of these would make a great general purpose coax for analog or digital.

Thoughts?

Jon

Brandon B

Second Unit
The impedance is not really an issue for audio IC's. However, 89259 is more money (1.5X - 2X) than 1694A, and probably harder to buy in small quantities. Sometimes people over on AudioAsylum's cable area go in together on big spools.

Try Anixter for 89259, or maybe Boldercables for small quantities of 1695A (same as 1694 but with teflon outer jacket for plenum rating).

BB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks