What's new

DIY cable problem - canare die/parts express crimp frame (1 Viewer)

kurtZoom

Stunt Coordinator
I'm following the http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/DIYCable.htm recipe for buidling cables. I've purchased the exact tools listed on the site including the Canare die and Parts Express crimp frame # 360-680 . I followed the suggestion at the bottom of the DIY page to "tighten up" the crimp frame.

My problem is using the LV-77S cable and RCAP-C77 ends. The pin is not crimping on to the cable...it pulls right off. Everything else is going well. Any suggestions what I might be doing wrong?

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
I never used this cable, opting instead to use the L-5CFB for all my patches, but if you already double checked the crimper try twisting the exposed braid to give it more volume before inserting & crimping the pin, of course make sure the stripper is not cutting off any strands.

KurtBJC

Agent

Two things come to mind.
(1) Could you be losing some strands from the center conductor when you strip the cable? If the blades are set too deep, you can "shave" some outer strands, which will diminish the diameter of what remains, and if that gets too small, the pin won't crimp on tight.

(2) The crimp dies really need to be held in the crimp frame very, very tightly; it takes very little looseness to allow the crimp not to be quite as tight as needed. I've heard of people having to insert metal shims to get nonstandard crimp handles to work with the Canare dies properly--if your dies aren't really tight, I'd try that.

kurtZoom

Stunt Coordinator
At first I was wondering if the supplier didn't send me the wrong pins...because I bought a bunch of the L-5CFB/RCAP-C5F stuff as well. I have not had a problem with the those. I double checked the pins and they are to small to fit on the L-5CFB cable so I doubt they are in correct.

KurtBJC - I thought the same thing...but set the cutter to be a tad shallow to the point of having to pull the white dialectric (?) part off the cable. I'll look at the crimp frame and see if shimming might help. The dies do seem very tight though. With the L-5CFB/RCAP-C5F combo it seemed to work great.

Alfonso - I like the "twist" method. I can cut it long so the center conductor is a tad long...then give it a good twist and snip to lenght. I'll give it a try. Anything to get this thing going. I started my basement finish project in May 05....I'm sooooo close.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks