What's new

Diva and Rocket Speakers (2 Viewers)

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
David,
You'll find that after being on the Forums for awhile, it's a merciless medium. If the Rockets, SVS, or any of the other Internet only products fail to meet or exceed expectations, they get shredded in a hurry. When you see all the testimonials to SVS etc, they are coming from users, not professional reviewers, so any bias's both positive and negative are real world, no holds barred. In the end, you have to decide for yourself if it's worth the chance to you. Generally speaking when you see overwhelming support for a product, you can give it a lot of credence. I have purchased many audio products from these companies and have yet to be disappointed.

Winston_T

Agent
I find it hard to believe that nobody dislikes them.
As stated above, there are people who did and they said so (pre-production reference). And there are people who dislike them (production version), but probably don't say much because... they stop paying attention (or other various reasons). I do have an example of at least one auditioner who stopped paying attention because of what they heard with the pre-production version. If I recall correctly, they gave me a call one night (I think to see if I chose the Rockets or Divas), and I told them some of the stuff that happened. Boy were they surprised. The stopped paying attention to the Rockets, because they didn't really care for them. But after getting an update, they came back and listened... and really enjoyed the speakers. In fact, I believe they will be making the jump.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Winston, as I was considering contributing a post referencing your experience and initial negative reactions. I don’t often post on AVS, but I was pretty interested in your experience. The more so as my wife is from Ann Arbor (we used to live in Lansing) and I thought, if only I still lived in the area I could have heard these speakers for myself.
I have never considered buying speakers online until reading experiences from those who have on this (and AVS) forum. I truly appreciate efforts by those such as yourself that allow others to have an informed opinion. I can’t believe that so many people would have such positive outcomes, unless these speakers (and the company that distributes them) were exceptional.
I’m still auditioning a multitude of speakers and considering my next purchase, and I am using input provided by you and others to help make a decision.
Thanks for all of your work. :emoji_thumbsup:

kevitra

Second Unit
I have heard both the Diva 6.1s and the Rocket 750s.
I did not like the Divas. The midrange was fat and 'bloated' on some female vocals. I expressed this opinion on avsforum and directly to av123, and they feel that the set I heard were bad (or something was not right). Either way, I was not impressed with them.
A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to audition the Rocket 750s. I brought along my speakers as a reference (ACI Sapphire IIIs).
The Rockets held up very well to the Sapphires. They had an incredible, tight bass (something the Sapphires cannot do, since they are monitors). As far as vocals, I would say the sound was laid-back. My Sapphires were slightly more detailed. The soundstage was very large on the Rockets, probably about the same as the Sapphires (the Sapphires are known for having a huge soundstage).
In the end I call it a tie. The Sapphires had a sweeter high-end, the Rockets had an incredible low end. For me and what I use them for (music 90% of the time) I prefer my current set up. It was close, and I was impressed.
The pictures on the website of the 750s are horrible. They look much better in person. I have some great pics of the Rockets next to my Sapphires. I will post them tonight when I get home.
One last point: ACI is also an internet-direct company (www.audioc.com). They have been doing it successfully for 25 years (phone orders long ago..). I bought them based on hours and hours of reading avsforum, audioasylum, and this site. The worst that can happen is that you will be out shipping costs (which can be quite expensive).

Eric T

Second Unit
First let me just say "Go Blue", as another Michigander living in Texas :)
I have a Rocket package on order, to update my Polks. After reading all the positive comments on AVSForum (I'm EricT43 over there) and this one, and talking personally with Mark Schifter (he called me from China to answer some questions), I decided it was worth the risk to order them without any audition. Send me a PM around the beginning of October and I'll let you know my comments. I'll probably post a review as well.
The other deciding factor is that there is not much of a market for high-end audio in my area, and the only shop that I know of has high prices and uncompromising policies. They won't let me try anything at home, and they won't let me return anything either. To heck with them.

David Sim

Agent
I posted my original message thinking I would draw out some type of a negative comment and it didn't happen.
Thanks everybody for your input.
I think I have pretty much decided to get the Rockets package too. Package numero uno to be exact.
I think I am ready to order. Just a few days break from this damn computer to let my brain rest and I will, most likely, take "the leap".
I also will order the SV Sub pc+ 16-46.
I need to upgrade my receiver next.
I have decided to put myself on the Onix Outlaw list (950/770 package).
I am doing a lot of trusting in the e-commerce thing this month. I guess it's better than shelling out twice as much for half the product. I'm sick of paying for salesmen's spiffy sport coats and pomade. :D

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
David,
You are gonna be a happy man. I can't think of a better setup for anywhere near the price you are paying for your Home Theater system. Please let us know how everything turns out. The wait for the 950 hopefully won't be too long now.
Good Luck,

DeT

Agent
First, let me just stated that I am a beginner to any type of decent speaker beside Klipsch Promedia. I also heard some Boses from my friends, but that's where it end.

Since the city where I live is kinda small, and most hi-fi store that I went to are not having very good customers service, so no way I am gonna buy from them, therefore I have very little choice beside buying on the internet based on opinions.

I brought the Diva 6.1, 2.1 and C3, no sub.

The music listening is much better than the Bose I heard from my friends. In fact, I really love the music from the 6.1, and I do listen to music a whole lot now.

Movie on the other hand is not very good. The 6.1 and 2.1 are great, but my thought on the C3 is not very good. I found that the voice are hard to hear and not very clear, it is also very weak compare to the DefTech I heard from one of the hi-fi store. When watching movie now, I just turn off the center because I can't stand it and let the front speakers simulate the center.

btw, I did return the first C3 and get another one, but the results are the same.

So, until I can get a decent center home and hook up to my system to compare to the C3, I'll say the C3 is not very good at all. Or until I have enough money to get the sub and hope that things will change for the better.

I heard on AVS that everyone is very very happy with the center. So I don't know what's going on there. The best thing that I think you should do is try to listen to them first before buy them.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
DeT;

Have you tried calibrating your speakers with a Radio Shack SPL meter and a calibration DVD like Avia or Video Essentials? It sounds to me as if you have the channel level on your center speaker too low and that's why you're having problems picking up dialog. Believe me, on a properly set up system, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to make out what is being said in a scene.

DeT

Agent
Jeffrey Forner,

No I have not because I am on a rather tight budget right now. Also, I did tried to increase the volume on the center awhile ago. But the sound still a little boxy and not clear, strong like the simulated center projected by the front. Oh well, nothing is perfect.

DeT

Walt N

Second Unit
I found the C-3 to be an outstanding center channel speaker quite up to the rest of the Diva line. My suggestion would be to double check your placement, and then calibrate it. You can't complain about new tires if you don't align the wheels and put the right air pressure in them! (Did I just use one of those cursed car analogies?..)

Winston_T

Agent
Thanks, Lew Crippen. I do auditioning for (partly) the reason you mention. Let people make there own informed decision. It's also a lot of fun seeing what people play and think. Seems like there are a lot of Michiganders, like EricT and others I know, who move to Texas. I guess some people just don't like living in the #3 state for getting the least sun shine.... :p

David Sim, even thought you seem set, you still might want to search for a Chicago owner. There must be at least one. Though you can trust _this_ e-commerce thing (av123, svs, outlaw all have solid reputations), your ears are the final judge. You can probably place your order and THEN audition locally (if there is one available). I believe the Rockets have been selling so well, that there is a short waiting list. So why not?

PomingF

Second Unit
DeT, please tell us about your C3 setup (a pic would be nice) see if we can somehow help make it sound better. I have a Def Tech setup with the CLR2000 center and can tell you the C3 doesn't give away much to the Def Tech at all.

PF

DeT

Agent
Hi PomingF,
thanks for the offer to help me with the setup.
Here is the picture of my setup, I got the Diva 6.1, C3 and 2.1. No subwoofer.
The setup is font=large, center=small, surround=small.

If you look closely, you'll notice that I aim the speaker toward my listening position.
The front speakers are about 2 inches toward my position compare to the cabinet and slightly toe-in.
Some of the things I have tried like bring the center speaker out of the cabinet and put on that little chair infront, aim it a little bit up toward me. Didn't improve anything.
I also increase the volume to the center by 1, 2 and 3 db. Its louder, but not the kind of sound I prefer like the front.
I have also test the center channel by move one of the front speaker to the center, hook it up and it sound pretty good, like I wanted. But I can't see anything on the screen, so that's not the answer :)
My issue with it is when I play dvd movie, the sound from the center is pretty boxy and flat. If I turn the center off from the receiver option, I could hear more action on the screen and the voice sound much better, more like a real theater.
The one beginner theory I got is the center speaker are not able to play low enough, that's why it sound a bit bad. If I got a sub, that may change things a bit.
Currently I turn off the center speaker. I don't feel the need for the center since I sit right in the sweetspot and I could hear all the sound come from the center anyway.
Thanks

Eric T

Second Unit
DeT, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be getting a good volume from your center. I would strongly recommend going to Radio Shack and getting the SPL meter so that you can do a proper calibration. If you still have trouble after doing the calibration, then you may have a faulty speaker. Better to get it fixed (if necessary) than not to use it at all...

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Are these considered a significant upgrade from the Paradigm Studio series? What kind of amplification would you need for these Divas. And are the Divas considered better than the rockets overall? or the other way around? It looks like the Diva 6.1, C3 and R3 are on sale for $1599 at av123.com. anyone find a better price anywhere? Thanks.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
kevitra,

Who in the area has the Rocket RS-750s?

At my house you heard the RS-150s, which don't have the Vifa tweeter.

Regards,

Chriss M

Second Unit
Paul,
I just replaced my Paradigm Studio 40/cc/ADP setup with the Diva 6.1 package. I couldn't pass it up at 1599 and i'm VERY happy with the Diva's so far :D

Chriss M

Second Unit
DeT,

If you have no sub, and are running your speakers set to SMALL, where is all the bass going that would normally be routed to the sub? I'd try setting all your speakers to LARGE until you add a subwoofer to your setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks