What's new

Displaying HDTV (1 Viewer)

ChrisDG

Auditioning
Hello,

I am new to this forum and not very well versed in all technical aspects of HDTV reception and display so please forgive my ignorance if it comes through too loud and clear in my questions.

Three years ago, I purchased a Mitsubishi Platinum VS-6085 which is a 60 inch HD ready 4 X 3 RPTV. I opted for the 4 X 3 vs the 16 X 9 because I felt I could live with the black bars at the top and bottom of my screen when watching widescreen DVD's better than I could live with the gray bars on the side which would result from watching 4 X 3 formatted material on the 16 X 9. I am now considering upgrading my satellite service to receive HD programming and I also plan to install a rooftop/attic antenna to receive over-the-air HD broadcasts since several are available in my area (Northern Virginia).

In reading the specs of various HD receivers, I note that the video signal output is typically 1080i. My TV has two possible video display settings - 480p and 960i and I am wondering if that means that it is not capable of displaying the 1080i signal from an HD tuner and therefore not able to display true HD. I am also wondering if there is some way to make the TV and HD tuner more compatible by using something in between - I have seen scalers advertized in magazines and although they sound to me like they are designed to match components, I do not really understand their function or whether or not this is something I will need.

Another problem I've thought about is with the fact that the RPTV only has one set of component video inputs. I understand that this is the input I need to use for HD display but I currently have my DVD player hooked up to that. I will need some means of connecting my HD receiver's component output to my TV's component input but want to continue to use my DVD's component output at the same time. How can I combine the component video signals from both units to feed into the one input on my TV?

Thank you in advance for any help and advice from members of this board.

Chris

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
thats kind of a pickle sounds like you'll be stuck having to have whatever reciever you end up getting, down convert to 720p for your TV since it does not support 1080i though this isnt nessecarily that bad since a progressive picture will look much better than an interlaced image, believe it or not all but a few plasma T.V.s are 720p native format not a full 1080i like you would think. But you'll want to make sure your box gives you the ability to up/down convert the signal coming out of it to be compatible with your tv.

Rob Ritch

Agent
Chris,

Not sure about the 960i input on your set, but as far as the ability to hook up both the DVD and the HDTV tuner there are many component video switchers available. If you have not already, check out the new Tweeter on 234 near 66. They can most likely answer your question and sale you a switcher.

BTW, fellow Manasshole myself ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks