What's new

Disney Stock Certificate as a gift....legit sites? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone seen (or purchased) these Disney Stock certificates?

For example:
http://www.oneshare.com/Stock.aspx?stock=disney
http://www.giveashare.com/eshop/10br...?search=disney

Someone mentioned to me that they bought one as a baptism gift and with my new nephew being baptized soon, I figured this would be a great idea.

Unfortunately you can't buy these through Disney. Their policy:
So it looks like I am stuck with a non official Disney site for purchasing...Not being familiar with stock AT ALL, I have no idea if it's safe to purchase from one of the above sites.

I guess the worst that could happen is, I'm out $100, but the certificate looks pretty cool, so it's probably worth the gamble. :) Has anyone purchased one of these? Can you recommend a "legit" site to purchase from?? I've seen several links to that oneshare.com site, so that might be my safest bet.

Thanks

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I looked at those as a graduation gift for a friend but the time frame they spelled out was too far off. Looks legit and they seem to charge an appropriate amount above the share price. Last time I checked with my brokerage house they said they could obtain official certificates but the cost was $25-50 per cert IIRC.

Anyway, since time was short, I ended up buying an uncut sheet of money from the Bureau of Engraving & Printing (ie the Treasury). Kinda cool in a different way and I had it in 10 days.......surcharge on that too BTW.

Mort

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mort,

While the actual stock frame takes 4-6 weeks to deliver, they do send out a "Starter Kit" in a few days so that you can use that as the gift. So it wouldn't be like I'd have nothing to give right away.

I'm also considering getting an animation cell. There's a place in the next town over that has them and I might stop in, but considering the prices, I may just opt for the stock.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't know anything about buying paper stock as a gift -- though a friend told me her girls were given Wrigley stock by a relative, which pays dividends and often sent free gum with the annual report :)

But DIS (Disney stock) is trading at $35 / share currently, so you'd pay a $65 premium for the paper certificate and frame.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, $100 for a certificate seems a bit much. I have had stock since they still gave out certificates, and the actual certificates are in a box somewhere.

I think maybe just buy a share in their name for $35, and make your own Disney frame. Buy a Mickey Mouse picture or something.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
OMG! Dave,

I mentioned this possible gift to my dad about 2 hours ago and he told me the very same story about Wringley stock sending you a case of gum! :eek:

Freaky!

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
You have to realize that one share of stock will be nothing more than a wall decoration. They will never be able to sell it.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I have no idea if it's safe to purchase from one of the above sites.

No, you could contract a deadly disease from it, or it could fall off the wall and sever an artery.

Of course it's safe. You would probably purchase with a credit card, and if they don't ship the item to you, you are protected.

> You have to realize that one share of stock will be nothing more than a wall decoration.

Isn't that the purpose of buying these in the first place? If you just want to own the stock itself, you wouldn't pay so much above the current price.

But like any other object you own, you could sell it. I don't know the resale value, but it would always be worth at least what the stock itself is worth.

You can go to a discount broker and buy a share for the current price plus $5 commission, but you wouldn't get a certificate. It would just be an entry in their books.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Although if you are buying stock, they would need your social security number and all that, as you are taxed on Dividends. Unless you are truly just buying a piece of paper. Then, you are being ripped off.

So, I'd be careful.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's my take on it too. For me, it's more the "Look, I own Disney stock" rather than trying to make money off of it in the future.

I will definitely be putting money into a fund for my nephew, so this is more about the "neat gift" factor, rather than the "I can retire off this!" :D

The same goes for those framed art cells. I have one and while I can probably sell it for a profit, I'm not going to. It's more about the fact that I own it. The same goes for signed sports memorabilia. My Brian Leech/1994 signed Rangers puck is more about the fact that I own it, rather than the value of it.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Another suggestion.....buy a gold or silver coin from the US Mint dated the year of the babtism. You won't pay much above bullion value, they come in a spiffy case, and it could REALLY be worth a lot more in the future....or not.

Mort

Brian D H

Second Unit
I used to have Disney stock certificates as a kid (when it was standard). Why don't you ask a discount broker if they can get you the paper certificates? They may charge you a bit of a premium to get them, but I would think that they can. After all, the company selling those framed certificates gets these somehow, don't they?

It may be a lot cheaper to get them from a broker and frame them yourself.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
As others have already pointed out this is incorrect. The certificate is what it is, a stock certificate that can be sold at anytime.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If you decide to make a framed certificate yourself, I wouldn't go for a Mickey picture, though.

Cees

Devin U

Second Unit

I love how volume usually reffers to shares traded in the 1000's, but on BRK its actual numbers. 440 shares traded! Wow!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
A friend of mine was given one (1) share of BRK-A when he was a child. As you can see he's done well in the market on that one share.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

In principal, yes, but in execution - no. Walk into any financial institution and try to sell one share. You'll be lucky to find anyone willing to talk with you - and should you find someone you will be lucky if their costs don't eat up any value in the certificate - oh - and I hope you don't mind waiting a while because they will not settle until it is verified - which could take months.

I stand by the statement - it will be wall art.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Wow that might be a record for me, a reply after almost seven months.

Regardless of what you believe in and stand by you are dead wrong. When a good friend sold off some stock certificates that he had gotten over the years as gifts, it was a rather easy and painless task. The whole transaction took less than a week.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I still think you should buy your receipient a share of Berkshire Hathaway A. Hey, what's about $150K between friends? :confused: Don't be a cheapskate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks