What's new

3D Disney Does it again...No 3D Bluray announced for "Maleficent." (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
The lack of a "Finest Hours" domestic 3D Blu-ray release is not surprising, as Disney no longer supports Blu-ray 3D releases for their Disney-branded titles.

Zootopia seems like it will be either an exception or maybe a new policy or I guess they could cancel it before release.
I think the flop issue may have a bigger role for this title since so far no 3D anywhere in the world whereas the Disney pullback only affected the US/Canada

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
My standard practice for obtaining Disney movies on 3D Blu-ray has been to purchase the UK editions.
That will hold until they pull back from even there.

I no longer expect them to release any 3D titles in the US. And I keep my eyes open on the other distributors, now that we're seeing HDTV makers pulling way back on making any new 3D sets. The good thing is that a great 3D set is also a great 2D set. So I have a full range of titles I can see in HD, and I also have a 3D library I can enjoy on the same set.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Can I please ask everybody on this thread to start to make some noise? You can post on Disney Blu-ray Facebook page about their 3D policy, maybe if enough people took a few minutes it would hit someone who actually cares at the studio.
I hate to be real negative here Robert because your heart is in the right place but if you take the time to go through some of these threads you will find all your suggestions have been tried before without success. The sad truth is Disney does not care what we remaining home Blu-ray 3D fans want and they don't even take the time to respond to our complaints or requests in a civil manner, they just ignore us like an annoying horse fly on a bull's ass. I think that the recent announcements that some major TV brands won't be even offering a 3D option on this years sets may finally push them into making a statement regarding the end of blu-ray 3D support but they have so far been happy to remain silent. It's quite obvious some one in marketing at Disney sees the their un-promoted Blu-ray 3D releases as not pulling their weight in corporate profits and would just as soon save a couple dollars than make a small niche of consumers happy. I'm personally very upset about the way the studios and manufacturers have treated the 3D fans and don't feel 4K HDR, although great, is a more needed replacement for 3D. I now realize that it's all about profits and the manufactures have moved past us and don't care. The haters have won, as they were much louder than those of us who enjoy 3D, and I'm sure I makes some of them happy no one gets to further enjoy a "gimmick" that NO one forced them to watch at home in the first place. Maybe a niche market will continue to survive for pressings of 3D Blu-ray but with our weak economy I have little hope. It was fun while it lasted.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Hoping the fact that 3D does much better about every place in the world but the U.S will keep 3D going. I know some are importing 3D discs, any such thing as importing 3D TVs? or do they get the same ones we do?

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Disney is all about maximizing profit in home video sales, so if they didn't announce 3D, then well, they don't see it as worthwhile.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah they were the first to jump on the bandwagon and the first to get off because they lost so much money on it. The general consumer simply doesn't buy 3D and no amount of "those meanies!" whining about it at a increasingly insular niche forum is ever going to change that.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yeah they were the first to jump on the bandwagon...

That's exactly what I always remember when I think about the whole chain of events over these past several years -- how Disney was pushing 3D in every way they could. It was almost reminiscent of how they had pushed people to move to Blu-ray back in the day.

And then...poof! Now you see it, now you don't. 3D? What's that?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yeah they were the first to jump on the bandwagon and the first to get off because they lost so much money on it. The general consumer simply doesn't buy 3D and no amount of "those meanies!" whining about it at a increasingly insular niche forum is ever going to change that.
My bet is that they didn't lose a penny on it -- they simply didn't make the wads of fortune they had hoped for.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
My bet is that they didn't lose a penny on it -- they simply didn't make the wads of fortune they had hoped for.
I agree Dick, adding a 3D version wasn't costing them all that much and considering how they overpriced the under promoted 3D "special editions" I doubt they lost anything. On the other hand they weren't making the kind of profit that generates bonuses around the Home Video department so the corporate rule is if it isn't profitable get rid of it. So I guess we will be seeing less if any 3D from Disney as time goes on. You can bet your ass I'm not going to fall for the Disney 4K bandwagon you know is coming. If it's not 3D and it was a 3D release theatrically no sale no matter which format they are pushing. I predict they will be very unhappy with the revenue from 4K as well.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Yeah, it wasn't a "loss" for Disney; it was less than the "desired" ROI. Given Disney's huge push behind Disney Movies Anywhere, you'll see a 4K streaming/download option for that platform before you see them jump on UHD 4K BD. Of course, they did all the damage themselves when they royally screwed up the BD 3D release of Oz the Great and Powerful. Hopefully the wonk who approved that package was given his walking papers a long time ago.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Of course, they did all the damage themselves when they royally screwed up the BD 3D release of Oz the Great and Powerful. Hopefully the wonk who approved that package was given his walking papers a long time ago.
I disagree as I think the Oz release was an experiment that was set up to fail and prove to those above that there was no future profits in 3D Blu-ray releases. Just a gut feeling. I have always got the impression someone on top at Disney Home Video really hates 3D and sees it as an annoying profitless waste of time.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I disagree as I think the Oz release was an experiment that was set up to fail and prove to those above that there was no future profits in 3D Blu-ray releases. Just a gut feeling. I have always got the impression someone on top at Disney Home Video really hates 3D and sees it as an annoying profitless waste of time.

All I can say about that is that I wouldn't put such an idea past them.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I have always got the impression someone on top at Disney Home Video really hates 3D and sees it as an annoying profitless waste of time.
Disney has never given a reason nor has any insider. More than anything else in my experience, this has caused nagging pain akin to cruel injustice.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Yeah, it wasn't a "loss" for Disney; it was less than the "desired" ROI. Given Disney's huge push behind Disney Movies Anywhere, you'll see a 4K streaming/download option for that platform before you see them jump on UHD 4K BD. Of course, they did all the damage themselves when they royally screwed up the BD 3D release of Oz the Great and Powerful. Hopefully the wonk who approved that package was given his walking papers a long time ago.

Nope. She's still in-charge.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Disney Movie Club has been taking preorders for Zootopia in 3D, so I actually think this one stands a good chance of happening. If it was just Amazon doing a preemptive preorder it would be one thing, but DMC doing it makes it seem a little more official to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks