What's new

Did you buy anything in the $7.88 bin at Walmart? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I'm sure everyone has seen the $5.88 bin at Walmart.

When I stopped by this week at two locations, I noticed that there was a new $7.88 bin/box.

There's about 30-40 titles included, so it looks like this is a long-term display/price point.

I glanced at 'Passenger 57' and 'Murder at 1600', but passed on both.

I fished out 'Detroit City Rock' and 'Firefox', but threw them both back.

Somehow that extra $2 seems to tip the scales when considering marginal movies.

The only thing I got was 'Island of Dr. Moreau'.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Well, after buying about 50 movies at the $5.88 price point and 10 or so at the $7.88-$8.88 price point, I really can't complain.

I also buy new releases at Walmart week one for the best B&M price.

Next week, I'll be buying the Indy set there.

I guess you could say (gulp), I'm a Walmart guy...

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Just read some strong reviews for 'Detroit City Rock'.

Sounds like it has that 'Dazed and Confused' vibe.

Maybe I'll get this one after all...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Picked up G-Men From Hell for $6.99 Cdn. A good deal as it has a bonus movie Astroesque.

If your not famialiar with these, they are the brain child of comix creator Michael Allred (X-Statix, Madman), with G-Men being based on his characters, and Astroesque actually written and directed by him in a bid to get Universal to back him in directing a Madman movie.

Astroesque is a little clunky, but not bad overall. I haven't watched G-Men yet. The transfers on both look not bad at all (astroesque gets the shorter end of the stick presentation wise)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I've picked up quite a few of the $5.88 titles, haven't seen the other bin yet.

Guys, try not to step in the crap frankt left in this thread.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Since when are we allowed to have these freaking symbols in our usernames? I thought that was forbidden?

I haven't bought anything from the 5.88 bin at Wal*Mart, except for The Adventures of Pinnochio. I considered getting Jungle Book II, but I haven't seen it. A few of the ones that I would have gotten were pan & scan. Last Action Hero comes to mind. A lot of the ones that aren't are in snappers, and I will not buy any more snappers. Hopefully, Warner will eventually stop releasing movies in snappers.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Actually, it surprised me to see "The Truth About Cats And Dogs" in the $5.88 bin, since I think it was a great movie. It is, of course, mine. :D

Jason

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
I've tried several times to post in this thread and all it will let me say is "I'm with frank." Very weird.

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
ONE Wal-Mart in Birmingham had a $7.50 standee that included some great titles I'd never bought but at that price couldn't pass up. Brian De Palma's "Dressed to Kill" is an incredible buy at that price given all the supplemental material. I also got "Misery," a fine movie with Kathy Bates' Oscar-winning performance.

So far I've only seen this at one Wal-Mart here in town (the biggest one, actually). The smaller one in my suburb of B'ham doesn't have it.

Leroy

Second Unit
I think those $7.88 bins are around only for special purchases. I've seen them a couple of times at local Wal-Marts but never bought anything from them. They'll be there one week, then gone the next. The $5.88 bin is always there though. I picked up Black Sunday from there yesterday!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I saw "Quest for Camelot" (i.e. The WB cartoon) in the bin a few times. I already own it, but if you see it, it's definitely worth more than what they're selling it for. Lot's of famous voices in that movie.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I think those $7.88 bins are around only for special purchases.
You might be right, there have been a couple of $7-$8 displays before (like the Father's Day or 80's setup).

But in one store the $7.88 display was roughly half the size of the $5.88 bin (no small feat), and you can't get rid of that much product overnight.

Anyway, I doubled back for 'Detroit City Rock'.

For those who may be interested, you can also find the excellent 'Copycat' in the $7.88 bin along with the passible '3K Miles to Graceland'.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Batman (Tim Burton version) from the $5.88 bin
I think you might have got a break on that one.

The only Batman movie I've seen in the $5.88 bin is the 1960's version.

No biggie, I got 'The Devil's Own' for $5.88 due to similar oversight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks