What's new

Did The Film Deliver What The Trailer Promised? (1 Viewer)

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I booked films for all of my theaters, which were in various locations in Northern/Southern, NJ. Some we could play Art films, some Disney/children fare, some exploitation and still others, popular fare. I remember getting the Superman 2 trailer and running it, thinking "wow", "this is going to knock 'em dead". The film for me, was a disappointment, but I always remembered how that trailer went over the top. Naturally a trailer has to "hook" you to buy a ticket and some were incredible while the films themselves were bad and others gave us exactly what the film delivered. What trailers delivered the film it promised and what ones had a better trailer than the film itself. Teasers can be included.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Whenever the topic of film trailers comes up, I immediately think of the trailer for 1993's Cliffhanger. For my money, perhaps the best trailer ever committed to film. (The use of Mozart's Requiem certainly doesn't hurt). And yes it promises a lot and the film delivers...

- Walter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Tetris the movie is every bit as fun as the trailer promises. (Not great “cinema” but a thoroughly enjoyable movie. And an interesting contrast after watching Black Bird, which also starred Taron Egerton.)

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
One of the strangest trailers I ever saw and made me want to see the film was for a science fiction film made by Robert Altman and starred Paul Newman and Brigitte Fossey called Quintet. A runner up for this was in going to see Excalibur, was the trailer for The Keep. Quintet, although not great, is fascinating and what was left of The Keep, made me want to see the entire film.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I booked films for all of my theaters, which were in various locations in Northern/Southern, NJ. Some we could play Art films, some Disney/children fare, some exploitation and still others, popular fare. I remember getting the Superman 2 trailer and running it, thinking "wow", "this is going to knock 'em dead". The film for me, was a disappointment, but I always remembered how that trailer went over the top. Naturally a trailer has to "hook" you to buy a ticket and some were incredible while the films themselves were bad and others gave us exactly what the film delivered. What trailers delivered the film it promised and what ones had a better trailer than the film itself. Teasers can be included.

Well, I thought the trailers for Ridley Scott's Prometheus were fantastic. All of the marketing for that picture was wonderful. Had me totally hooked. The film did not live up to the trailers and so that is a case where the marketing was actually better than the film. In my opinion obviously.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
One of the strangest trailers I ever saw and made me want to see the film was for a science fiction film made by Robert Altman and starred Paul Newman and Brigitte Fossey called Quintet. A runner up for this was in going to see Excalibur, was the trailer for The Keep. Quintet, although not great, is fascinating and what was left of The Keep, made me want to see the entire film.

Quintet is an odd picture. I like it though I know it is not a good film. The Keep was one of those pictures that I and all my friends really liked when it came out, so I did not know it was thought to be a terrible film until many years later. I would like to see some sort of director's cut, extended cut, longer cut of The Keep. A special edition on Blu would be great. I don't think Mann has shown any interest in doing that though. I think the huge issue for Mann with the film was the guy that was going to do the effects for the picture died just as they kicked off the production. I think that was the story I heard.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Two other comments on The Keep. I watched it last October and on that watch really noticed how chopped up the theatrical cut seems to be. Never really noticed it before because I always watched the film bathed in a nostalgic glow. I had always watched it before just enjoying it for what it was. I have the DVD that was released a while back. I am happy to have it though as a way to watch the film when the mood strikes. A Blu-ray would provide a major upgrade though.

Second thing I would say about The Keep, is it is a story I am surprised has not been remade in this era of remaking everything. Sure, the original film was not a hit but this is exactly the kind of story someone could have another crack at and I believe there are a series of novels that provide sequel material...so exactly the kind of thing they love these days, a potential franchise.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Well, I thought the trailers for Ridley Scott's Prometheus were fantastic. All of the marketing for that picture was wonderful. Had me totally hooked. The film did not live up to the trailers and so that is a case where the marketing was actually better than the film. In my opinion obviously.
Winston,
In total agreement with you here.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I have to mention this, although these were reissue trailers. This week (Easter week) in 1968 UA released their Big Bond Sale double feature of Thunderball and From Russia With Love. You bought one Bond and got one for free. What a terrific trailer as well as the Two Biggest Bonds Trailer for Thunderball and You Only Live Twice together on the same program.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I just thought of another phenomenal trailer that I saw when going to see Tom Horn with Steve McQueen. It was the teaser trailer for The Shining, the one with the creepy music and room that had an elevator open up and shower the room with red blood as if it came from the ocean and filled the room, while furniture in the room was floating in the blood. I never really warmed up to the film but still own it. I also thing the teaser for the new Barbie movie (2001 rip off) was creative, the film yet to be seen.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Are you a fan of Alien, and did you have to be convinced by marketing to see Prometheus? Seems to me all the trailer/commercial needed to do was to let everyone know this was a prequel to one of the best sci fi/horror films ever made, and the same director is in the fold. Bingo- a minimum guaranteed box office figure.
Some films sell themselves, due to the acting talent, and the director.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Are you a fan of Alien, and did you have to be convinced by marketing to see Prometheus? Seems to me all the trailer/commercial needed to do was to let everyone know this was a prequel to one of the best sci fi/horror films ever made, and the same director is in the fold. Bingo- a minimum guaranteed box office figure.
Some films sell themselves, due to the acting talent, and the director.

Yes, huge fan of Alien and the return of Ridley Scott had me excited about the picture before I saw a frame of footage. So, no the trailers and marketing did not need to sell me on seeing it. When they were so good though, it just raised my expectations to an even greater degree.

I went to a special early screening of the picture alone because I wanted to just focus my full attention on the film. When it was over, I think my jaw was on the floor. I just did not expect what it was, which was a strange comedic version of Alien. I think that is why I enjoyed Alien Covenant so much more, I went in expecting comedy, so when it happened, I was not stunned. I was able to laugh and enjoy it. Plus I think Covenant embraced the comedy more and sort of was a campy comic takeoff on Hammer films.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, huge fan of Alien and the return of Ridley Scott had me excited about the picture before I saw a frame of footage. So, no the trailers and marketing did not need to sell me on seeing it. When they were so good though, it just raised my expectations to an even greater degree.
The only thing I remember from the Prometheus trailer is the amazing "scream" sound effect that was used in the Alien trailer.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Sometimes it's good the movie doesn't deliver what the trailer promised.

Cast Away was a terrible trailer. Gattaca was a bad trailer. The trailer for Breakdown left me screaming, "Why is she getting in the truck with him?" I'm sure I can think of other bad trailers for good (or great movies). Many trailers have gotten so long I intentionally don't watch them; they either give away too much of the general plot, or all the best shots out of context.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
While I think the original teaser trailer for Kill Bill is terrifically edited and makes great use of the accompanying music; I was always just a bit disappointed that it promised an appearance by Michael Jai White that never materialized. So a bit of both for me - great trailer that doesn't quite deliver what was shown.

- Walter.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
For a 10 year old, the trailer didn't do this movie justice...just gave you a taste!
1681271719971.png

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
The trailer for Star Trek III: The Search for Spock promised: "The final voyage of the starship Enterprise." So yes... but eventually no.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks