What's new

Did Paradigm make a wall mounted rear speaker to match the Ref. Studio 60v.2? (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I recently bought some used 60 v.2’s for the front a Paradigm Ref. Studio CC v.2 for my center. I’m currently using some white JBL S36ii’s for the rears. My setup is used mostly for music 80/20 and timber matching is a little more critical for me. I considered the Studio 20 v.2’s. But they are too deep, rear ported and I need to be able to angle the speaker down. If I was going to replace the S36’s for timber matching purposes, what options would I have?

My 5.1 setup:

Toshiba 35"
harman/kardon AVR 525 (preamp)
Parasound HCA-2003 (mains & center)
harman/kardon PA 2000 (rears)
Denon DVD-2900
Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v.2
Paradigm Reference Studio CC v.2
JBL S36-II's
SVS PC-Ultra

chris_bester

Agent
Only speakers you could use to match the Paradigm speaker system to use to point down would be the Studio 20's cause they are the lightest/smallest in that line I would suggest the Studio/adp's if you weren't pointing them down wards

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Chris thanks for the feedback, I'll check them out anyway. That's the ADP's v.2?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you can't find used v2s, the v3 ADPs should still work fine.

I would avoid wall mounting 20s, but it can be done. For music, I prefer monopoles, not to mention the ADPs are a LOT more expensive.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Are you guys referring to the ADP-170 v.3? If not which ADP model would match my v.2 60's & 20's?

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
What about inwalls? Paradigm makes those as well... If you got crafty, you could angle those down without a problem. The model you would want to look at is the SA30, which is what I have to match my Studio 60s v.3.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
ADP-470 (v3) are the ones that go with the Stuido line. I don't remember the previous model's name, but it may have just been Studio ADP for the v2. ADP-170 goes with the Performance line and will not match well.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Chris & John: My mistake, I didn't realize the ADP's are bi-directional. I'm not looking for a "diffuse" effect, for Hi-Res music playback.

Perry: If the depth claim of only 3" is correct, the 25 or the 30 might be an option. Wonder how my wife would feel about me cutting sections of drywall to expose the studs? Hmmm...never done any major drywall cutting or patching, wonder how tough it would be?

What's retail on the SA25, 30 & 35?

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
The 3" is correct and believe it or not, these speakers sound pretty damn good. They come with a template for cutting the dry wall and the process is very easy with a dry wall cutting knife. Literally, it takes about 15 minutes to install these speakers.

As far as the price goes, I think I paid around 6 or 7 hundred for the pair. (SA30s)

PS - I was also told a while back by my Paradigm rep that they are manufacturing inwalls made for angling in different directions (up, down, side-to-side). However, I'm not sure what the status is on this project for Paradigm.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A friend of mine is using 4 SA-15Rs also, and they do sound pretty good.

Which is why I recommend sticking with 20s. They will still sound better than the in-walls.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
The S36II's are pretty good speakers. You think they would sound better than a Paradigm in-wall option?

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Yes, but I not interested in taking a step back in overall sound quality just to get "timbre matching" or "in-wall" aesthetics.

The S36II's are wall mounted three way speakers (6"/4"/1") from the JBL Studio line.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You're using the S26s now? If they sound OK, then just use them for now. Keep an eye on Audiogon or Ebay for some used v2 20s. IMO, the 20s will sound better AND be timbre matched.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Also, in addition to shelving them horizontally, how would plugging the rear port on the same used v.2 20's change the sound?

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Are you running the rears full range? If you're not, and the xover is set to 80Hz or higher, I don't think plugging the port will really have much affect. In fact I would probably just push them up against the wall & be done with it. The port really isn't contributing anything if they are not running full range.

-Dave

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
For SACD/DVD-A playback my Denon 2900 defaults to 80Hz. But for redbook and concert DVD playback my h/k 525 offers adjustable crossover settings. Currently it's set to 60Hz. Agreed, plugging the port with those crossover may have little effect.

How bout' shelving the 20's horizontally, any positive or negative effects?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks