What's new

Dick Van Dyke Show - 2 Colorized Episodes Coming to CBS 12/11 (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
It was the episode where Rob drags Laura to a party and they leave Richie home sick with a babysitter. I haven't watched that one in awhile - I wonder if there was some medication given / not given to Richie. I seem to recall a doctor involved at the end. Perhaps that caused the "drug use" warning.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It was the episode where Rob drags Laura to a party and they leave Richie home sick with a babysitter. I haven't watched that one in awhile - I wonder if there was some medication given / not given to Richie. I seem to recall a doctor involved at the end. Perhaps that caused the "drug use" warning.
Episode 106, Pink Pills and Purple Parents... Millie gives Laura some prescription sedatives, Laura gets all weird.

Though the message of the episode actually is "don't take someone else's prescription pills".

Reactions: PMF

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
That’s the first episode, “The Sick Boy and the Sitter.”

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
That’s the first episode, “The Sick Boy and the Sitter.”
I saw that episode last weekend. Was a pilot episode ever shot, setting up where Rob first gets his writing job- anything like that?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I saw that episode last weekend. Was a pilot episode ever shot, setting up where Rob first gets his writing job- anything like that?
The pilot for the show was filmed with Carl Reiner (the creator) as Rob. When the role was recast, the show started filming with "The Sick Boy and the Sitter" script (Reiner had already written a batch of scripts for the show) to be used as the episode to sell the show to advertisers. Later on in the series, we had episodes dealing with how Rob was discovered by Alan Brady and another featuring his first day on the job as head writer, but those were long after the show was on the air.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The pilot for the show was filmed with Carl Reiner (the creator) as Rob. When the role was recast, the show started filming with "The Sick Boy and the Sitter" script (Reiner had already written a batch of scripts for the show) to be used as the episode to sell the show to advertisers. Later on in the series, we had episodes dealing with how Rob was discovered by Alan Brady and another featuring his first day on the job as head writer, but those were long after the show was on the air.

And it's not like the Carl Reiner pilot set anything up, either. It was just a run of the mill episode. It was eventually reworked a bit to showcase Van Dyke's physical comedy talents and filmed as episode 23, Father of the Week.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes I did notice that Reiner had writing credit for the first few episodes.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes I did notice that Reiner had writing credit for the first few episodes.

You'll notice it a lot more.

He wrote 39 and a half episodes (and a teleplay) of the first 63, which was the first two seasons.

Luckily, he found Persky and Denoff in time for season 3 so he could take a break.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I just watched My Blonde-Haired Brunette.
Moore really shines in that episode.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I just watched My Blonde-Haired Brunette.
Moore really shines in that episode.
They bumped that episode up because it was so good. It was the 2rd episode aired but the about 10th episode filmed.
It was also the very start of the show switching from a split of office to home scenes originally geared more to office, as seen in the pilot, then home to the reverse. While there were a few episodes without Buddy and Sally, I think Laura was in all episodes. It has been stated in articles that Rose Marie thought she was going to be the leading female character on the show but that didn't work out, leading to some hard feelings between her and Mary Tyler Moore. They were professional but not friendly during production of the show.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think Rose Marie was brilliant in the show, but I think the writers failed her more than they should have. Too many of the episodes that were focused on her character ended up having her do the same “I wish I had a man” shtick again and again. I recognize that’s also an artifact of the time the show was made, but I wish they would have given more depth to her character’s personal life rather than repeating the same bit over and over. It probably stood out more when I rewatched the show, seeing all of the episodes over the course of a year rather than week to week over several years.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Sure doesn’t seem like anything is missing from the broadcasts on the DVD set. In season 2, short advertisements featuring Dick in the episodes The Attempted Marriage and Hustling The Hustler for Kent cigarettes (these spots would be the first to go if anything was going to be cut).

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Since this thread was originally about colorization, it should be noted that this year is the 30th anniversary of the colorized Gilligan's Island episodes (seen on MeTV). They really need to re-do those. They look terribly faded compared with the Dick Van Dyke Show colorized episodes.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
"Baby Fat" and "From the Bottom of Mel Cooley's Heart" aren't two of the more famous DVD episodes, but like all of the last two seasons where there were almost no duds, they were filled with laughs and in the latter show, lots of heart, too. COlorization as good as previous episodes of the show, maybe a trifle less saturated.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
According to the TV listings, CBS is airing two colorized episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show tonight (5/21) at 8 p.m.

Aww man! I missed it. Not that I'm particularly excited about colorized episodes but we've been working our way through the series. My teenage son loves vintage tv so I started DVRing MeTV's Sunday night DVD show airings during the pandemic. He absolutely loves them. It would have been fun to see some more colorized eps.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I watched half of the first one and all of the second.

Great episodes.

I love seeing them in color too.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I enjoyed watching an hour of televised comedy where things were actually funny. Neither of these two episodes were among my favorites, but that made them all the more enjoyable as they'd been seen less by me than some of the "classics".

Strother Martin was perfect as the playright in "Baby Fat".

And I always get a kick out of seeing

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks