What's new

Dick Van Dyke Show - 2 Colorized Episodes Coming to CBS 12/11 (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
* CBS will air two newly colorized Dick Van Dyke Show episodes — “That’s My Boy??” and “Coast to Coast Big Mouth” — on Sunday, Dec. 11 at 8/7c.

They are very funny episodes but c'mon colorized? Surprised they didn't include the one Christmas episode they did.

Here is a colorized shot from "That's My Boy??"

the-dick-van-dyke-show-1.jpg

Last edited:

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Colorization is light years ahead of what it was only a decade ago. It may look wholly natural. Here's hoping.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just finished watching the Blu-rays of the entire series a few months ago, and I'm already missing the show - I'll definitely tune in.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Colorization is light years ahead of what it was only a decade ago. It may look wholly natural. Here's hoping.

The colorization may indeed look natural (I had no problems with Lucy), but the show is going to look horrible in color.

bd0522d5acb12c6f3153aa0315696b59.jpg

241dbcda8a08e34a465afab1ad688ad9.jpg

Those colors. Those 60s colors.

Eh, I'll still be watching though, if only for the novelty of it.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
For those interested there will also be the annual I Love Lucy Christmas special with the Christmas episode plus one other. This year it's Lucy Gets Into Pictures. Broadcast on Friday December 2.

This holiday season is about to get a lot funnier, as CBS plans to broadcast the I Love Lucy Christmas Special, featuring two back-to-back episodes of the iconic sitcom in full color on Friday, Dec. 2 at 8/7c on CBS.

The episodes include "The Christmas Episode" (first broadcast in Dec. 1956) and the newly colorized "Lucy Gets In Pictures" (Feb. 1955). Both were modified to have a "vintage look," which is a nod to the series' 1950s period.

The episodes have also been seamlessly combined into one special, with no interruption between the two.

As fans may recall, "The Christmas Episode" finds the Ricardos and Mertzes decorating Lucy and Ricky's Christmas tree and reminiscing about how their lives have changed since the arrival of the Ricardos' son, Little Ricky. Flashbacks recall the night Lucy tells Ricky she is pregnant, the time Lucy shows up unexpectedly as part of a barbershop quartet, and the day Ricky and the Mertzes rehearse taking Lucy to the maternity ward.

In "Lucy Gets in Pictures," Lucy's lifelong dream of appearing in a motion picture seems to have come true when Ricky arranges for her to play a showgirl in a new musical. Unfortunately, the enormous feathered headdress she is expected to wear as she descends a staircase proves to be too cumbersome. After numerous mishaps on the stairs, the musical's frustrated director decides to make a change.

The I Love Lucy Christmas specials have been an ongoing tradition on CBS for the last three years, each combining the holiday-themed episode with a different comedy classic.

Watch the new I Love Lucy Christmas Special on Friday, Dec. 2 at 8/7c on CBS, and stream full episodes of I Love Lucy on CBS All Access.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/i_love_luc...idays-with-the-i-love-lucy-christmas-special/

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here is the colorized test for "It May Look Like A Walnut" from 2012

I think this video is great about the Dick Van Dyke Show. Edited from various interviews from the Archive of American Television.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think Dick seems believably shocked to win since Get Smart had burst upon the scene that year and was one of the odds-on favorites to win big at the ceremony (it didn't). Shockingly, though Don Adams would win the Best Actor award the next year, it would take two years for the show to win Best Comedy Series. The Monkees won the following year as Best Comedy Series.

The Dick Van Dyke Show won four awards at its last Emmy appearance: the two in the clip above plus Best Comedy Series and Best Writing in a Comedy Series (for the masterpiece episode "Coast to Coast Big Mouth"). Rose Marie, Morey Amsterdam, and Jerry Paris (as director) and the episode script for "The Ugliest Dog in the World" were all nominated and didn't win that last year.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Always thought of this as Rob and Laura's Theme Song, "You Wonderful You"
Trivia : Mary Tyler Moore's first husband's last name was Meeker, used as Laura's maiden name in this clip. After they divorced Laura's maiden name was changed to Meehan.

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Not totally against these colorized episodes, I'll be watching. The technology has definitely gotten better.

Yet things still seem a little dated, subdued and faded. And were there actual color photos to use as the basis for the colorization, or just an editor deciding "this would look good for her sweater", "the couch should be this"?

Maybe these are accurate presentations of the color palette chosen in that time period for TV, yet I look at films like "West Side Story" and many others that weren't at all muted like these colorizations.

Things now are so much more vibrant, bright, almost to the point of over-kill (dare I mention The Mary Tyler Moore show)? Almost painful in its restored version, way overboard on the colors. Wish there were a nice medium level.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The sets of TV shows that were filmed in black and white were mostly in shades of grey and brown because they looked good in black and white. Using the actual colors would not look like anyone's home or office. If the stills above are actual color pictures then the Petrie kitchen was blue/green and pretty ugly. The color of the cabinets in the pictures looks different in each picture, Why reproduce that? The idea is to make the colors look pleasing to someone watching in 2016, not try to reproduce what the sets and costumes looked like in 1963.
Skin tones, hair color, and the teeth , mouth, and tongue seem to be the most difficult to look realistic. Often they seem to give people tans that don't look real.Many times they have left the mouth in black and white.

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The sets of TV shows that were filmed in black and white were mostly in shades of grey and brown because they looked good in black and white. Using the actual colors would not look like anyone's home or office. If the stills above are actual color pictures then the Petrie kitchen was blue/green and pretty ugly. The color of the cabinets in the pictures looks different in each picture, Why reproduce that? The idea is to make the colors look pleasing to someone watching in 2016, not try to reproduce what the sets and costumes looked like in 1963.
Skin tones, hair color, and the teeth , mouth, and tongue seem to be the most difficult to look realistic. Often they seem to give people tans that don't look real.Many times they have left the mouth in black and white.

I appreciate that. Never realized the sets and costumes were designed knowing they'd be filmed in black and white, so they chose colors that filmed better under those conditions.

The original colors could very well have not been very attractive, but they filmed well. We're getting the idealized version of what couldn't affordably or technically be done at the time.

Doesn't matter, still a fan.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes when they are doing something in black and white, everything is different. Lighting is different. Lighting a black and white film is different than a color one. So you can never truly convert a black and white show to color. It's like dubbing. You can dub a movie from Chinese to english but it will never truly look like an english speaking movie.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
They are broadcasting this on a Sunday evening at 8 PM. Anyone DVRing it remember football can delay start time in Eastern and Central time zones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks