What's new

DIALOGUE? (1 Viewer)

Gunfighter

Grip
Real Name
Matthew
Good afternoon all. I have a question about understanding the dialogue coming from my center channel. Has anyone had issues with the dialogue sounding muffled/garbled? The words just aren't crisp and clean. The first assumption is you can't hear it but then when you turn it up, it's just a loud garble (hot mess). Also, this more prominent based on the channel/program being watch. When my wife watches her Investigative Discovery Channel, it sounds fine but when we watch a premium channel series (Paramount, HBO, FX, AMC, Starz....etc) or movie it gets worse. My system consists of:
Polk Floor Speakers - S-55
Polk Center - ES-35
Surround - Sonace
Yamaha - RX-A680
No subwoofer

Any help with cleaning this up would be much appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.

Gunfighter

Grip
Real Name
Matthew
Might be you center speaker wire's going bad?
OK, I'll replace all the speaker wire this weekend and see if that helps. I am by no-means an audiophile, in fact, I know very little but I never thought speaker wire would go bad. The speaker wire may be 6 to 8 years old (16g Rocketfish). Thank you good sir/ma'am!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
OK, I'll replace all the speaker wire this weekend and see if that helps. I am by no-means an audiophile, in fact, I know very little but I never thought speaker wire would go bad. The speaker wire may be 6 to 8 years old (16g Rocketfish). Thank you good sir/ma'am!
At the very least you can test the speaker by swaping the wire with one of the left/rights probably. If it sounds fine its the wire. If not, the speaker may be shot.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Haven't had any issues with garbled dialogue in the center, but I know the volume level of the dialogue in the mix can vary wildly from one movie/show to the other. I'm always futzing with the dialogue enhancer and center channel levels on my system.

Gunfighter

Grip
Real Name
Matthew
At the very least you can test the speaker by swaping the wire with one of the left/rights probably. If it sounds fine its the wire. If not, the speaker may be shot.
Screw, I’ll update/upgrade my speaker wire and see how that goes. The Center Channel is 2 months old and the towers are 4 months old.
Haven't had any issues with garbled dialogue in the center, but I know the volume level of the dialogue in the mix can vary wildly from one movie/show to the other. I'm always futzing with the dialogue enhancer and center channel levels on my system.
This is, exactly, what I’m dealing with…..as another issue that I manage.

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
People always suggest the es30 over the 35 for its two larger speaker drivers. What made you choose the slimmer one with small speaker drivers? They often sound worse and may be a cause of your issues.

Gunfighter

Grip
Real Name
Matthew
People always suggest the es30 over the 35 for its two larger speaker drivers. What made you choose the slimmer one with small speaker drivers? They often sound worse and may be a cause of your issues.
Availability and space consideration. I ran an audyssey test and it improved the quality some but I still need to replace the speaker wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks