What's new

Denon DVD-1600 or DVD-3800?? (1 Viewer)

Phil C.

Auditioning
Which one? I know the 1600 does not have the Chroma bug, the 3800 does, but there is a fix for it. Is it worth the extra money? I will be hooking up to new Pioneer 50" Plasma (either..503CMX, 5030HD, or Pro1000-HD).

Any other player suggestions?? I've been looking and reading about everything. The lower priced modes just feel cheap to me, but hey what do you want for the $. The 3800 is listed at 22 lbs. I do not mind spending the extra money if it is worth it. So far the 1600 looks like the best combo of price and performance?? Thanks in advance.

Phil

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil, welcome to the Forum. The '1600 is an excellent value, but I suspect this is a situation where you get what you pay for. In the end, the picture quality of the two players may be comparable, but I would expect the '3800 to be better on the audio side (CD and DVD-Audio). The '3800 looks to be a great component. The build quality of the '1600 doesn't impress me, plus it lacks a coaxial digital output. I am toying with the idea of an upgrade of my DVD-Audio player and am interested in the '3800. The '1600 just doesn't do it for me. Is there any way you can compare them?

Many other quality DVD-Audio players, such as the Rotel RDV-1080, Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700, Yamaha DVD-CX1, Denon DVM-4800, and Panasonic DVD-RP91, have been discussed here quite a bit. A search should prove helpful.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I am also interested in the 3800, espcially since I can get it for $950.00 out the door from an authorize dealer near my house. My question is though is the pic quality going to be better than the RP-82? I really am not interested in DVD-A music but would like a solid DVD player.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Juan,

I do not believe the Denon 3800 and Panasonic RP-82 are in the same league. You are comparing a 280.00 component with one that costs nearly five times as much. If you do not care about DVD-A or audio playback, then you may want to look at the much cheaper Denon 1600 instead, or the Panasonic RP-91, which has very good build quality. I have seen the RP-82, and was VERY unimpressed with its build quality, but did like the video quality - However, solid DVD player it definitely ain't. The 3800 is on a whole different level, and really allows many tweaks to the audio/video quality which much cheaper players can only dream of. I would expect the 3800 to be superior to the RP-82 in ALL areas except price, though I didn't have them side by side to compare.

Reg

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
Reggie,

thanks for the input. I know that the 3800 is in a different league compared to the rp-82 but since I am just using it for video and not audio I don't know if it would be worth spending the extra money on something I probably wont use. With all that said though I really don't want to sacrafice video quality, maybe I should go the HTPC route.

Phil C.

Auditioning
I tend to agree that the 3800 is in a different league, at least I hope so to justify the extra expense. I too have been very disappointed in the build quality of almost anything I have looked at. The 1600 looks nice, but it still feels cheap. The lack of a coaxial input does not bother me. I am fine with optical. I do not know if it is a comfort thing or not, but build quality goes along way with me. It is not necessarily about the weight factor, but the over all appearance and feel. Trays are my biggest complaint. All the lower priced players feel flimsy. I do not know what to do. I have a little interest in DVD-A, but not enough for that to be my sole deciding factor. I am not sold on it yet, especially since I can not send the signal through digitally to my receiver; however, I do want to hear the Metallica black album...Video performance is much more important to me. Anybody here actually own the 3800 or the 1600 that can provide some feedback? Thanks to all who have responded so far.

Phil

Tom Blake

Auditioning
I have owned the 3800 for about a week now. After applying the chroma fix firmware update (VERY easy to do via 2 CD-R's) the picture is OUTSTANDING. I have owned many DVD players since the format's inception and this is the best quality picture I've seen on my FP system (tweaked Sony 10HT on Grayhawk screen). It even surpasses the Kenwood Sovereign player w/Faroudja DCDi that I owned previously. If you're interested in video quality this has to be one of the best players available under $2K. I'm also very picky about audio quality, and I expect this player to do well. I've heard it needs 200 hours of burn-in time before it sounds its best, so I haven't made serious conclusions here yet. Initially, the sound on DVD-A via analog out and Redbook CD via digital out into my pre/pro's DACs sounds a little bright. I imagine it needs more burn-in time. The build quality of the player is good with a quality feel and hefty weight (22 lbs), but be advised it's made in China. Thus, it's not to the quality level of Pioneer Elite or Sony ES stuff I've owned previously that was made in Japan. The Sony 9000ES, for example, has substantially better build quality for the same price. Guess you have to pony up for the $3.5K DVD-9000 for it to be made in Japan :-(

Overall, I am very happy with this player so far. I expect it to tide me over quite well until a digital interconnection standard is implemented between SACD/DVD-A players and pre/pros or receivers. At that point I will definitely upgrade. If you have specific questions feel free to ask. I'm not familiar with the 1600, and since audio quality is important to me I didn't consider it.

Tom

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tom, I would be interested to see a report from you in a couple of weeks regarding the sound quality of the '3800 to see if it "settles down" over time. What are you comparing CD sound quality to? The Sony 'S9000ES?

As for build quality, I am not surprised that the '3800 is not up to the standard of the 'S9000ES. The 'S9000ES is very solid. I've seen the Denon '9000, and it is a rock.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I'm pretty curious how the build quality of the Denon 3800 compares to my Sony 9K as well.

Keith,

what's your impression? Have you checked out the 3800?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip, I have yet to see the '3800 in person. Tweeter isn't stocking it. At least the Tweeter stores in Delaware aren't. I stopped in a Denon dealer in Somerville, New Jersey a few weeks ago (my old stomping grounds before moving to Delaware), and they had the '9000 on display, but not the '3800. The '9000 is very solid.

Tom Blake

Auditioning
Chip - I currently have the 3800 and have previously owned the 9000ES (got rid of it as I wasn't happy with the video performance). The 3800 doesn't have a copper shielded chassis like the 9000ES, and is less robust. The 3800's power supplies also appear to be inferior in quality to the 9000ES's, as is the internal parts layout and construction. The transport mechanism on both players is of excellent quality. I prefer the 9000ES's, but the Denon's tray has a nice, smooth motion with a decent plastic tray. Overall, I'm satisfied with the 3800's build quality but disappointed that a $1200 player is built in China. The 9000ES at the same price definitely has better build quality but, obviously, Sony has much greater resources at its disposal then Denon. I'm sure the Denon DVD-9000 is an absolute tank with awesome build quality, but I'm not willing to pay its $3.5K cost without SACD output. I do feel the 3800 offers decent value for its performance level at $1200. If they had to build it in China to bring it in at that price rather than $2K, it was probably a good business decision.

Keith - I'll check back in a few weeks after I've wrung out the audio quality post burn-in. I'm comparing its DVD-A performance to a Kenwood DV-5900M. For Redbook CD I'm just using it as a transport into the DACs in my Theta Casablanca 2. As a transport, I'm comparing it to a Pioneer DVL-91 and the Sony 9000ES. I'll also check out the analog quality of the 3800 as a CD player, but probably the only way I might use it in that manner is on HDCD encoded discs. I have the XTREME DACs in my Theta and I'd be shocked if the internal DACs on the 3800 offer better performance on Redbook CD.

Tom

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tom said:

I'm sure the Denon DVD-9000 is an absolute tank with awesome build quality, but I'm not willing to pay its $3.5K cost without SACD output.
My thoughts exactly.

I am curious to hear how the '3800 compares to the Kenwood Sovereign '5900M with DVD-Audio discs and CDs. As I said in a reply to Chip, I have not yet seen a '3800 in person, but the build quality sounds a bit disappointing for the money. Of course, the 'S9000ES was a masterpiece. It's one of those cases where Sony pulled out all the stops and made an outstanding component that was underpriced.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Thanks Tom,
I'm interested in the 3800. Hell, lol, i already have two SACD players. I may just hold out for the 9000 in the end. I'm still happy with my Sony 9K. Problem is, my 5803 is cry'n for a Denon 9K :D.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip said:
Problem is, my 5803 is cry'n for a Denon 9K
Told you! Ya gotta love peer pressure. :D
Seriously though, see if there is a way you can compare the Denon '3800 and '9000 to determine if you can justify the expense for the '9000. I figure the '3800 will easily beat your 'RP91 for DVD-Audio. However, I wonder how the two will compare on the video side. You still do have the 'RP91, don't you? Is it in the same system as the 'S9000ES?

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator
You guys are friggin killing me!! :)
I just bought the 3800 and haven't even hooked it up yet, and now I'm hearing about disappointing build quality!?
It feels very solid to me and from what I demoed in the store, it has awesome video and audio quality. Where's the problem? From where I'm sitting, it seems to be the best sub 2k dvd player available. Am I wrong?

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Mike,

I have no idea. I have spent some time inspecting the 3800 at the Good Guys and find the audio/video and build quality SUPERB in every way. The thing weighs 22lbs and is built like a tank. All of the other players which were next to it seemed flimsy by comparison - and one of them was the Panny RP-91. What does the thing have to weigh to have good build quality; 70lbs? I can't comment on the SONY 9000es, but would be curious to know what it weighed. As far as where the 3800 is made, as long as it performs it tasks superbly, I could care less. Enjoy your 3800 Mike, and give us your impression when its ready.

Reg

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator
My 3800 is significantly heavier then my old 7700. Both are in the box, so I'm not entirely sure how accurate the comparison is, but I've lifted them both and the 3800 seems to be built better. In the end, who cares how much it weighs, its how they perform that matters. I won't know that until at least Wednesday (7/31/02) when my TV arrives.

Tom Blake

Auditioning
Guys,

I probably made the 3800's build quality sound worse than it is. There's no doubt it's very good! I was just disappointed that it was made in China rather than Japan, and commenting on the fact that the Sony 9000ES was a better built machine for the same price. I think that anyone who compared the innards of the 2 players would have to agree. Otherwise, I am EXTREMELY happy with the 3800! Its video performance blows away the Sony, so build quality isn't everything :) I fully agree that after the firmware upgrade this is THE player to beat under $2K at this time. Didn't mean to imply that I was anything other than 100% satisfied with the 3800 at this point.

ReggieW - the 9000ES weighed about 28 lbs. A superb player on the audio side, but I found the video performance lacking.

Tom

Chip E

Screenwriter
"You still do have the 'RP91, don't you? Is it in the same system as the 'S9000ES? "
Keith,
Actually, it's in my girlfriend's bedroom hooked up to my Panasonic SuperFlat tv. We don't live together (yet). So no DVD-A yet gor me... o'm a look'n! Hey Keith, look, 1000 posts, didn't realize. I'm catch'n up pal lookout :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
All,
Here's a question. How does the build quality of the '3800 compare to the '2800. I haven't seen the '3800 yet, but I've seen the '2800 many times. The '2800 isn't built to the level of the Sony 'S9000ES, but it is a solid machine. A comparison to the '2800 would give me some perspective on the build quality of the '3800
It would not surprise me if the '3800 were a solid machine. However, most components will look and feel wimpy in comparison to the 'S9000ES. Something else worth considering is that we often can only evaluate external build quality. We tap the sides and top of the chassis, look at the drawer mechanism, etc. That has no bearing on what is going on under the hood. The Denon '3800 could have an excellent power supply, capacitors, and the like.
Chip,
No DVD-Audio? Wow! Then you definitely need that '3800 or '9000. ;) At least you can justify the expense to your girlfriend: "Hey, I gave you my DVD-Audio player." :D
You said:
Hey Keith, look, 1000 posts, didn't realize. I'm catch'n up pal lookout
Oh no! I'd better get busy! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks