What's new

Denon AVR 3300 (2 Viewers)

Dean P

Auditioning
I was visiting Tweeters the other day and noticed this receiver on the discontinued shelf for $660 so I was thinking about buying it. Can anyone out there who owns this receiver recommend it or let me know what problems it has? Also, is $660 a good price?[/font]

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Dean,
I've had my 3300 since about a month after thay came out(around 2 1/2 years). Some people have complained about fan noise and that it runs hot. Mine is in an audio rack with a glass door and it does get hot, but the fan has never even come on.
Mine has been absolutely flawless. Not a single problem. It has some pretty good DACs and decodes DD and DTS really well. Since it's nearly three years old it doesn't have the latest formats like, 6.1, 7.1 and DPLII, but it's still a great receiver.
Here's a link to the some reviews(about 500 of them).
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=41623

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Dean: I agree with Legairre. The 3300 was a groundbreaker when it was originally released. The main surround processor is an Analog Devices SHARC 32-bit chip. Still one of the premier processor chips out (it's my understanding that there have been some normal evolutionary changes to the SHARC chips being made today.)

I owned a 3300 for almost 2 years and ran it as a pre-amp/processor with my 5 channel amp. Mine always worked perfectly. The only reason I moved from the 3300 was to go to the 3802 and Dolby Pro Logic II. (I listen to a lot of 2 channel sources.)

The only 2 minor production problems I heard about for 3300's were that some units had squeaky fan bearings and a few had loose S-Video connector jacks.

The fan problems seemed to have occured more to the units NOT made in Japan (IOW, later production units.) I never read any definitive answers on which serial numbers were more prone to the fan squeaks...

As for the loose S connectors, the first batches from Japan more the ones to watch out for. I never read of anyone having the problem with later units (not made in Japan.)

In either case, I don't believe that most owners ever had any problems.

As for $660 being a good price??? I think it's high. The 3300 is 2 models behind the current model, the 3802. The list price for the 3802 is $999. So, when you figure that you should be able to easily buy a 3802 for at least $100 to $150 off that at any B&M (not counting that you can buy a 3802 for even less on the web (but maybe from a non-authorized dealer?)), charging nearly $700 for a 3300 is just too much. I would think that $400 to maybe $500 would be closer.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I forgat to mention that when I purched it 2 1/2 years ago I paid $715.00 delivered from an unauthorized dealer. I'd have to agree with Chuck $400.00 or $500.00 is a more resonable price for a unit without the latest bells and whistles.

Jacy Legault

Auditioning
I have one of these and it is a damn fine receiver.

Keep your eyes out for b-stock and new units on ubid.com (they are an authorized distributor of Denon products)

I got my B-stock unit for $350 plus shipping about 6 months ago. This makes the value/per dollar of my new Marantz SR8200 look sad. Major things it is lacking w/r to the SR8200: Software upgradability, 8 channel support, THX processing, multiroom video support, and High bandwidth Component Video switching.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Add me to the "singers of praise". I took back a Denon 3801 and got the 3300 a little over a year ago, because it just sounded better.

It gets hot, and my fan has turned on the odd time, but it keeps on ticking. Lots of nice, solid wattage.

But not at the price you're looking at.

... Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks