What's new
World Wide Stereo

Denon 2802 shutting down from high volume (1 Viewer)

Mr. Brian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
My father-in-law has a Denon 2802 which has been shutting down when he wathches DVD's or certain TV shows with loud music or explosions. If he turns the volume down, the problem stops, but then everything is too quiet. Has anyone else had this problem or aware of a way to fix it? Could it be a bad connection somewhere or an overload from the subwoofer? Thanks for your help.

Brian

728x90

Ron_L

Second Unit
check your speaker lines....make sure they the + and - aren't crossed.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Could be a lot of things. Most likely it could be a shorted strand of speaker wire somewhere. Check and re-do all your speaker connections at the receiver and your speakers and make absolutely sure no stray wires touch the other contact (i.e. sloppy wiring...). This would cause a small short that would overload your receiver and cause it to go into protect mode to save itself (which is a good thing, otherwise it's just burn itself up). It could be that your speakers are of too low an impedance for this receiver to handle at such high volumes. It could also be a damaged speaker somewhere that might have a burnt voicecoil which would show itself as another short to the receiver. If you have a powered subwoofer, that should have nothing to do with it unless you have it plugged into the receiver, in which case try pluggin it in sumewhere else. Lastly, it could be something wrong with your receiver. Troubleshoot all your wiring first, as this is the most likely, then if you have a multi-meter, measure the impedance of your speakers, all of them. If they all check out fine, it still might be the speakers, so you might try connecting different speakers and seeing if your amp goes into protect on a certain one, which points out a problem speaker. You should also make sure all your speakers are set to "small" as this will re-route all the bass to the subwoofer, thus releiving significant strain on your receiver, if, say your speakers have a lower impedance which the Denon might not quite be adequate to handle. What speakers do you have? Taking all your speakers and the receiver into a store might be difficult, but there are different ways you can try to isolate what's causing the problem. Oh yeah, and I totally forgot (duh) heat. Make sure your receiver has plenty of ventilation, i.e. not in an enclosed cabinet/shelf/media center, not on carpet, nothing smothering it, etc, so that it has plenty of airflow for ventilation, or it will overheat and go into protect mode as you so describe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks