What's new
World Wide Stereo

Definitive Technology Speakers in new HT (1 Viewer)

predgw

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Hey guys. New member here. I am in the planning stages for a 25'x14' dedicated HT room. I have the following: clr2300 center, two 7006 towers left and rt. Two 7006 towers for surround and the BPVX/P for the rear. These are all Bi-polar with built in powered subs. I think the sound is awesome. I have searched the forum here all the way back to 2004 about discussions around def tech and bi-polar, powered subs ect. My question is this.

I have had these setup in a living room setting since owning them, when I move these into the dedicated room will I find my self needing a sub. Also is there any more recent news on new def tech owners using these for dedicated HT. 80% of use will be movies. I also have enough room to pull the front lt and rt out a couple feet from the wall. Should the center be out a couple feet as well. Thanks in advance, great forum.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
I would'nt think you would need a separate sub since yours have built in subs. And yes, I would pull the speakers out about a foot from the wall as you mentioned. Including the center. I did that with my JBL towers and center and it sounds very good.

predgw

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Great Thanks. So being that the speakers are Bipolar and each speaker has a powered sub is there any different sound treatment that takes place? I have read so much about speaker placement and how sensitive location is yet I don't see any guidelines when it comes to bipolar vs. direct mono radiating speakers( not sure if that is the correct term) Thanks

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
I'm not real sure but I think the location issue(for bipole) is mainly about your surrounds, not your mains. The only thing I can suggest for the mains is you may want to play around with toeing them in to a degree to see if it makes a difference in the sound quality. Since you are using towers for surrounds I'm not sure what you should do in that case.

mylan

Screenwriter
One thing to experiment with is distance from the wall. Def Tech towers are bipolar and have drivers on the front and back that are in phase, the back drivers are supposed to bounce off the wall and envelope the front soundstage for a "more spacious" sound as opposed to a "direct radiating" speakers pinpoint accuracy. Varying the distance to the wall will change the sound quite a bit more than toeing them because there is more sweet spot with a bipolar. You will want to have the center speaker at the same distance, not because of this but because you want the sound to arrive at the same time as the mains, the center is not a bipolar design.
The problem with built in subs is that you cannot move the sub to its optimum placement and you are going to have five subs to try and calibrate. In your receiver/processor, set all speakers to "large" and try to set levels the same. You can also experiment with the sub by placing the speaker so that the sub will fire outward and then inward to see which you prefer.

predgw

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Mylan:
you lost me with the statement
If the fronts should be about even and facing directly at the listener than how would I adjust the direction the sub fires? I am new at this so please excuse me if the questions seems silly.

With respect to the rear the same sound envelope principal applies here as the front, correct? As long as I adjust the decibels in the speaker setup I am should be all set I hope.

mylan

Screenwriter
In every powered tower Def Tech sells, the sub is built into the base and the actual driver faces either in or out on the large flat side of the speaker, not the slim front of the speaker that faces you. Since the speakers can be used either as a left or a right, you can place either so that the sub driver faces in toward each other or out facing the walls. In some cases the bass will sound different depending on what they face, for instance, inward firing drivers could vibrate the cabinent on which the display is sitting, positioning the drivers to fire outward would allieviate this problem, or outward firing would vibrate the wall, etc. Yes, the same principles apply to the surrounds and as long as the levels (decibels) are matched, you should be fine.

predgw

Agent
Real Name
Greg
ahhh, a huge lightbulb above my head was just let. I never even thought about the fact that I could change the direction by swapping speakers. Thanks man. My first guess would be that they should face out toward the wall, equal space on each side of course. Hmnnn more choices. Ok thanks a ton. This forum kicks butt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geogonz
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale